Keyboard problem after laptop repair

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 20, 2005 4:19:03 PM

I have never worked on a laptop before, but a friend brought me this
Toshiba Satellite S1670 CDS running Windows 98SE with a dead hard drive
and asked me to do anything I wanted to try and fix it.

The hard drive replacement and W98SE install went smoothly, but I found
that some of the keys on the lower right of the key board no longer
responded.....Shift/UP Arrow/L&R Arrow, and maybe some others are no
longer working.

When I removed the keyboard to acess the hard drive I unplugged the
ribbon connecters to the mainboard. I have since been told that this
was a mistake because the ribbons are very difficult to replace
correctly.

Can anyone confirm that this is the probable cause of the unresponsive
keys and advise how I might get them working again?

I really would like to give my friend back a perfect computer which it
would be otherwise

Many Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 3:00:10 AM

The ribbon cable is not normally the reason keys stop working. The membrane
under the keys go bad. You normally cant fix the keys, just replace the KB.

As to the ribbon connectors, do you have the bare end of the ribbon showing with
no connector and a slot on the MB? If so, look at the connector on the MB, it
should have a small lip around it. - Gently - pull up a small amount along the
edges(about 1/16"), opening the friction clamp. Slip the end of the ribbon
cable back into the connector and press the slide back down securing the ribbon.

TJ

tui wrote:

> I have never worked on a laptop before, but a friend brought me this
> Toshiba Satellite S1670 CDS running Windows 98SE with a dead hard drive
> and asked me to do anything I wanted to try and fix it.
>
> The hard drive replacement and W98SE install went smoothly, but I found
> that some of the keys on the lower right of the key board no longer
> responded.....Shift/UP Arrow/L&R Arrow, and maybe some others are no
> longer working.
>
> When I removed the keyboard to acess the hard drive I unplugged the
> ribbon connecters to the mainboard. I have since been told that this
> was a mistake because the ribbons are very difficult to replace
> correctly.
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is the probable cause of the unresponsive
> keys and advise how I might get them working again?
>
> I really would like to give my friend back a perfect computer which it
> would be otherwise
>
> Many Thanks

I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
February 21, 2005 3:00:11 AM

Thanks TJ....Your suggestion is appreciated.

I had been very careful removing and replacing the ribbon connectors
just as you described.

I had assumed that the keys were all working when I got the laptop
originally, but perhaps they weren't. It had been stored for some time
in a garage in less than ideal conditions which would explain any
deterioration.

No matter, the laptop is reasonably useable as it is. I doubt if the
owner would want to pay for a new keyboard...they will be letting
their 7 year old daughter use it.

"Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:<42192485.9A784109@cableaz.com>...
> The ribbon cable is not normally the reason keys stop working. The membrane
> under the keys go bad. You normally cant fix the keys, just replace the KB.
>
> As to the ribbon connectors, do you have the bare end of the ribbon showing with
> no connector and a slot on the MB? If so, look at the connector on the MB, it
> should have a small lip around it. - Gently - pull up a small amount along the
> edges(about 1/16"), opening the friction clamp. Slip the end of the ribbon
> cable back into the connector and press the slide back down securing the ribbon.
>
> TJ
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 8:24:19 AM

tui wrote:

> Thanks TJ....Your suggestion is appreciated.
>
> I had been very careful removing and replacing the ribbon connectors
> just as you described.
>
> I had assumed that the keys were all working when I got the laptop
> originally, but perhaps they weren't. It had been stored for some time
> in a garage in less than ideal conditions which would explain any
> deterioration.

I have a large stack of Thinkpad KB's that have several dead keys or dead
mouses.. mice... meese? I've tried to repair but its just not worth it, even
if you can find a membrane to replace it with.

> No matter, the laptop is reasonably useable as it is. I doubt if the
> owner would want to pay for a new keyboard...they will be letting
> their 7 year old daughter use it.

Keyboards are actually pretty cheap... It wouldnt be more than $35-45 on eBay
and that would be with shipping. Swap just the KB, dont need the whole
assembly(bezel, speakers, etc).

Good luck with it..

TJ

> "Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message news:<42192485.9A784109@cableaz.com>...
> > The ribbon cable is not normally the reason keys stop working. The membrane
> > under the keys go bad. You normally cant fix the keys, just replace the KB.
> >
> > As to the ribbon connectors, do you have the bare end of the ribbon showing with
> > no connector and a slot on the MB? If so, look at the connector on the MB, it
> > should have a small lip around it. - Gently - pull up a small amount along the
> > edges(about 1/16"), opening the friction clamp. Slip the end of the ribbon
> > cable back into the connector and press the slide back down securing the ribbon.
> >
> > TJ

I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
February 21, 2005 9:46:42 AM

Ok TJ, thank you....I will pass on the information to my friend

!