Panoramic phtography of London and Hawaii anyone?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 9:45:15 PM

I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of London
(http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.

Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at Hawaii
and sigh....

Peter
http://www.the-london-map.co.uk The London Map
January 24, 2005 9:45:16 PM

"peter watts" <pw015g8004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:%mbJd.12334$2b6.10826@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of London
> (http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
> using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
> short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
> Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.
>
> Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at Hawaii
> and sigh....

Nice site, Peter. That was obviously a LOT of work!

Just curious, why didn't you hike down to the green sand beach?
A panorama from the beach itself would have been very cool..
(I'm going through major Hawaii withdrawal here, just got back
a few weeks ago.)
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:09:10 PM

I have taken many photos from places like Diamond Head but have never been
drawn to do a panorama, sounds like a nice project for my next trip.

"Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "peter watts" <pw015g8004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of
>> London
>> (http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii
>> (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
>> using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
>> short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
>> Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.
>>
>> Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at
>> Hawaii
>> and sigh....
>
> Nice site, Peter. That was obviously a LOT of work!
>
> Just curious, why didn't you hike down to the green sand beach?
> A panorama from the beach itself would have been very cool..
> (I'm going through major Hawaii withdrawal here, just got back
> a few weeks ago.)

January 24, 2005 11:43:13 PM

pw015g8004@blueyonder.co.uk (peter watts) wrote:
> I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of London
> (http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
> using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
> short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
> Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.

I'm from Hawaii... have done some QuickTime panoramas, nothing special.
The Java ones you've got there are pretty, but boy, do they flog my CPU.
I'm _very_ impressed with thoroughness of your geographical coverage,
though. Oh, on the homepage, it's "Akaka Falls" - there aren't double
consonants in Hawaiian.

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI - http://hilom.multiply.com/ - images, words, technology
Anonymous

"Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "peter watts" <pw015g8004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of
London
> > (http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii
(http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
> > using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
> > short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff
around?
> > Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.
> >
> > Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at
Hawaii
> > and sigh....
>
> Nice site, Peter. That was obviously a LOT of work!
>
> Just curious, why didn't you hike down to the green sand beach?
> A panorama from the beach itself would have been very cool..
> (I'm going through major Hawaii withdrawal here, just got back
> a few weeks ago.)

I did. Lens not good enough to get a decent shot at the time (and I was
Knackered)
Peter

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:37:49 AM

In article <%mbJd.12334$2b6.10826@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, pw015g8004
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
> I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of London
> (http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
> using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
> short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
> Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.
>
> Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at Hawaii
> and sigh....
>
> Peter
> http://www.the-london-map.co.uk The London Map

I have quite a few panoramas of Hawaii on my web site. Taken with a
Noblex Panoramic camera, but not 360 degrees.
The choice is between trying to produce an image that stands on its own,
but just happens to be long and thin versus trying to embed the viewer
in the location.
I've done both and find each has its uses.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:45:15 GMT, "peter watts"
<pw015g8004@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I spent the last year putting together these two panoramic tours of London
>(http://www.the-london-map.co.uk) and Hawaii (http://www.the-hawaii-map.com)
>using a digital camera. Am now based in London (some might call that the
>short straw!). Are there any other folk who do this kind of stuff around?
>Particularly interested in anyone from Hawaii.
>
>Anyway, if nothing else, hope you enjoy the photos - I still look at Hawaii
>and sigh....
>
>Peter
>http://www.the-london-map.co.uk The London Map

These dynamic shots are beautifully done, I must say!

Brian W
!