Wondering if a GPU will fit?

brachen33

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I recently built a new computer and I'm a little worried about ordering a new video card with the way the mobo is set up.....

CPU: AMD phenom 955 black edition
Mobo: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Current Video card: Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT
PSU: Antec Earthwatt 750
HDD: meh... not sure sure but it's not too old.... and I still have plenty of room

I'm pretty sure my GPU is garbage from what I've read so I think the last thing I'm looking to replace is my graphics card.... when I look on newegg at the "SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express" I'm getting a little nervous because the thing looks kind of big and the space on this board ... I'm just not sure if it will fit.... I'm not interested in the crossfire but some things stick off the mobo that look like they may be in the way..... I looked at the Asrocks website but couldn't find any info..... Is there anyplace else I can go to find that info or do you see anything on my new current build that could be better???..... I'm on a budget but I still have a few bucks to burn.... Any help would be appreciated

It's not the motherboard that will be the issue. As long as you have a PCI-Express slot, you're fine. The issue would be the case. Motherboard manufacturers realize that the consumers will need space by the PCI-E 2.0 slot, and will provide it.

brachen33

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Much thanks for the response :) .... yeah I actually have 2 PCI-Express slots for Xfire but I haven't read great things about dual cards on these boards..... So out of the other components I already have in do you think dropping $150 on a new GPU is my best bet? It's basically for gaming and surfing.... and I just graduated with a degree in IS so I would like to have something that is gonna hold for awhile for newer things that I throw at it...... My casing is a mid but I don't think it should be a problem...

brachen33

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
eek.... I couldn't even tell you what it was (or I'm too embarassed too)..... I bought it from frys a few years back and it does fine.... I just think a full size casing might do me more favors (since I started piecing stuff in I've turned into a crack head and want more) so any decent full size casing recommendations would be appreciated? The Radeon HD 5770 seemed like a good fit as far as a GPU.... $150 bucks is about my top end and I didn't see much else that looked better for the price but some of this is new to me..... I haven't OC'ed the processor (little nervous and still need to do some homework to make sure I do it right) ..... I think I'm happy with the 4 gigs of 1600 ddr3 ripjaws I put in.... from what I've read thats good enough?

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
the ram is good enough alright and the radeon hd 5770 will definately fit into the mobo though i recommend going in for a 6 seris or gtx400 series the 5770 is good what kind of games are you looking forward to play?