Ga-p55a-ud3 i3 550 reboot loop

Hi,
I have been happily using my previous build with ga-p55a-ud3 and i5 750, 8GB of ram for a year. I have recently moved and after the move the machine starting acting up with Machine check problems a few minutes after booting up into OS (any os really).

The error occurs usually within a few minutes after boot up.

Steps I have done:

1. software - windows 7, mac os, linux + linux live cd - the same error
memtest - no problem at all, every single test passed

2. GPUs tested: nvidia 9400GT, ati 6870 (two identical cards tried one-by-one) with both PCIe slots

I thought it may be the CPU kicking it as I have been using it with stock cooler for 9 months running around 75C, so I have purchased new i3-550

That's where the fun starts - after replacing the CPU the system does not boot up! It still does when I put the i5 back in, but with the i3-550 I do not even get a beep - I am stuck in a reboot loop (every 6s), nothing on a screen and no beeping, removing RAM does not have any effect on the behaviour. I have tried the latest bios as well as some older versions supporting the i3.

What could be the problem? Is it the motherboard then? I would like to avoid buying every single component until I find the problem.

thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about p55a reboot loop
  1. put i5 back and update your bios, and the replace it by i3
  2. Already done that, tried multiple versions supporting the i3
  3. I believe it is a motherboard issue now - also tried swapping the PSU and the result was the same.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Motherboards