ASRock 970 EXTREME4 Boot Problem

theCardboardBox

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I am new to building computers, and ran into a problem while building my computer.

Here is my rig:

MoBo: ASRock 970 EXTREME4
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1600 4gb x 2
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz
GPU: Saphire 6950 Flex
PSU: Corsair 650w
HDD: Hitachi 250gb

The HDD is from my old computer and has Windows 7 installed already.

When I boot the computer it shows the glowing spheres of the Windows 7 logo come together for 3 seconds, stops, and then reboots. After rebooting it gives me the options of Startup Repair or to start normally.

I am not exactly sure what is going on here. I followed the manual that came with the MoBo and can't seem to find anything wrong. The MoBo correctly detects the CPU and RAM(More or less because it detects it at 1333) when I am in the BIOS. I switched out the HDD with another HDD I own to see if it was the HDD's fault, and got the same result.

HELP PLEASE.

theCardboardBox

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. No I installed the OS myself. Using the Windows Repair tool does not yield any results. It just sits there and says "repairing problem" or something. I shut it off after 2 hours. Do you think this could be a hardware issue?

theCardboardBox

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
The BIOS already detects the HDD, I am unable to boot from the drive completely. When I boot from the drive it shows the Windows 7 logo for about 3 seconds and then crashes. I replicated this result on another HDD too.

theCardboardBox

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I was thinking about flashing the BIOS, but I am afraid that doing that can void my chances of RMA'ing this MoBo in case it is defective. Do you know if flashing the BIOS is at the user's risk?

uchiha342

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I hope I can get a response...to finally boot everything did you purchase a new hdd or what?