Sign in with
Your question

CPU or Mobo problem?

Last response: in CPUs
March 26, 2011 4:17:34 AM

Hello everyone, I am having doubts about either,cpu or motherboard being faulty. After losing power last week, my hard disk stopped functionning, so I bought a new one.
My power supply also let go, so changed that as well.
Right now system seems "laggy" applications will sometimes stop responding, pc doesnt hang or restart tho. AMD Overdrive shows me under Board Status VIN7 voltage reading plays bettwen 3.16v and ~5v..
If anyone knows if its normal, or this should be steady 5v? After trying 2 brand new PSU's, I am wondering if its the motherboard having problems with the voltage.. I ran superdiag to test the cpu cores, (phenomII x3 720). I would say about 50% of the times, I get "CPU not responding" and failed cpu tests with core2 and core3, a few times I had no problems and all 3 cores passed the test.. Any idea if you think cpu or mobo is damaged? Thanks in advanced, please forgive me for the long post and lack of english skills as french is my first language. hehe Sincerly, Richard.

note: all other hardware tests were ok.
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H (rev. 1.0) Motherboard being used.

More about : cpu mobo problem

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2011 6:03:57 AM

Well, I am not an expert, but try this. Go into the BIOS and put your CPU voltage lower and see if it actually works, the put it higher and see if that works. Download CPU-Z to see voltages. Here is a link ---> http://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.htm... If your voltages are working properly, it would probably be your CPU. Also, pull out your CPU and test that in another system if possible. Run OCCT to see if your CPU passes a stability test too. Here is a link ----> http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download Also, buy a surge protector, it will keep this from happening. I could understand your English, so don't worry about that. By the way, how often do these programs lag and stop responding?
m
l
March 26, 2011 9:43:08 PM

Hello,Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it. I have checked voltages with cpu-z, cpuid HW, and in bios also,the cpu voltage is constant @ 1.35v I tried occt and system doesnt hang.. The system seems laggy all the time, whenever I want to install any program, or run a game, its extremely slow. I really wonder whats the VIN7 voltage reading under amd overdrive, it seems to play between 3.1volt and 5volt, when I think it should be stready 5v? I have put new power supply and hard drive as well in the computer. I will try a different cpu now I got my hands on a older am2 chip,should be compatible. Im starting to suspect the power supply section on the mainboard that is responsible for handling the 5volt? Unless that makes no sense.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 1:42:10 AM

Well, it could be the PSU not giving steady voltages. Try a different CPU and see if that works well. Again I will say, I am not an expert though.
m
l
!