Sign in with
Your question

Please Critique My New Build Gaming Setup

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2011 1:00:06 PM

Hello All,
Not sure why my previous post disappeared, but I am resubmitting it again.

I am looking at upgrading my existing 4 year old gaming PC. I would like critique of this possible setup. I also understand Sandy Bridge is coming out shortly, so i won't make any decision until that comes out. I just want to see if i am on the right path. I am also confused about the many different video card manufacturers who make the Radeon HD 6870 video card. I picked the
XFX because the core clock is at 940 MZH versus the standard rate of 900 MHZ.

I would like some input on hard drives. I am looking for maybe 1 TB. The new SSDs appear to be very expensive and will probably push the cost above my budget. I am not sure whether i should go with SATA 3 or 6 hard drive.

Approximate Purchase Date: February 2011
Budget Range: (e.g.: $1000) After Rebates
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)
Parts Not Required: case, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, CD/DVD writer, 500 watt power supply
Power Supply model # is OCZ-500-SXS
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com/tigerdirect.com
Country of Origin: US
Parts Preferences: I would like to stick with the Intel I5 series CPU
Overclocking: Possibly, never have done OC.
SLI or Crossfire: No for now, but will possibly add a second video card in the future.
Monitor Resolution, 1920x1200
Operating System: Windows 7 (Currently 32 bit, will convert to 64 bit with upgrade)

Additional Comments:
Not sure what to do for the hard drive yet.

Here is the list of parts that I am considering.
Processor: I5-760
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: Asus P7P55E-D PRO

Video Card: Radeon HD-6870

RAM Memory: 8 GB DDR-3 Memory ( Two 4GB Sims) 9-9-9-24
January 1, 2011 1:31:13 PM

you want a sata 2 or 3 hard drive which will connect to max data transfer speed with the motherboard you chose.

8gb might be overkill for a gaming rig tbh

6870 is a good card so thumbs up there. the 500w psu wont be enough for two cards in the future though

The i5 is easy to overclock to 4ghz or so. You will need a aftermarket cpu cooler like the hyper 212 in my sig

If you can get the xfx overclocked card for the same price as a standard I would go for it but dont pay too much extra as its easy to overclock to greater levels

January 1, 2011 8:28:19 PM

Thanks for the advice on the cool master hyper 212. I have just included that for my cooler. It is a tight fit though for my case.
Related resources
January 1, 2011 8:59:09 PM

For the HDD, many people seems to be going for the Samsung F3 1TB. it goes for 70$ on NewEgg.

For the SSD it's up to you, you could get a 40-60GB SSD for 110-130$ four your OS only, but that is just icing on the cake. If you decide NOT to take the SSD now, I would suggest you create a dedicated 40-60GB OS partition on your HDD and install only the "bare minimum" software on it. First, if you have issues with OS and have to reformat, you won't loose everything. Secondly, if you get an SSD later, you could just clone the OS partition on the SSD and you will be ready to go (worked for me).

For the PSU, 500W should work, but if you add anything to your PC or want to OC, it might be tight. Also not sure if the video card, since OCed, will draw more power.
January 1, 2011 11:08:27 PM

Zenthar,
Regarding the SSD, which one do u recommend and what type of connection does this involve. I would also have a conventional hard drive so i am not familiar how i would configure a SSD and a conventional hard drive. Any insight would be appreciated.

Jack,
Regarding the mobo, i am not sure if they are no longer producing them but there was not much info on the unit that u recommend. I want to make sure that any mobo that I use does not take away any graphic lanes for usb 3.0. I did not see anything on the review for the referenced mobo.
January 2, 2011 1:06:43 AM

For the SSD, I think OCZ Agility 2 and Vertex 2 would both be good and "inexpensive" choices. I'm not sure but I think the Vertex 2 is a slightly better performer. Also note that for both of these drives, you might actually end-up with 50GB of usable space because of dedicated "spare" area.

For connection, I think all SSDs except the C300 uses SATA 3Gbps (SATA 2).

For configuration, using an SSD with a HDD is like using 2 HDD, just install your OS and the software you want on the SSD and put all "extras" (including additional software and games) on the other one.
January 9, 2011 1:43:40 AM

Based on the new Sandy Bridge reviews, I have decided to go with the I5-2500K. Everything is the same except I am not sure what motherboard to use. Should I wait for reviews to come out for motherboards for the new Intel chips?
!