Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Only Eyefinity

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2010 2:36:33 AM

So I've recently splurged and bought 2 Dell U2410 (24") monitors. My current video card is a Gigabyte 8800GT OC with the after market Zalman cooler. It serves most purposes alright, but the new monitors have taxed it to the point an upgrade is necessary. In starting my research, I'm sort of stumped. Is the eyefinity inclusion in the AMD/ATI cards the only choice for 3 monitor gaming?

I'm thinking that I might want to get a third monitor in the next six months. If I don't get a third monitor, I'm thinking a nice 460GTX would power the two I have.

The thing is, with the new 68xx series just released, I'm confused by the FUD and reviews that have come out. What's a good perspective on the current graphics market?

More about : eyefinity

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2010 2:48:17 AM

techmaniac said:
I'm thinking that I might want to get a third monitor in the next six months. If I don't get a third monitor, I'm thinking a nice 460GTX would power the two I have.

Currently only ATi cards can do multi monitor gaming from a single card, you would need to have two Nvidia cards in SLi to have multi monitor gaming and even then you could only use three monitors not two.
Score
November 2, 2010 3:01:15 AM

I just came across the SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB for about $370 which would do the trick. I'm not much of a fanboy, but NVdia cards haven't let me down yet.

So if I SLI a pair of MSI Cyclone 460 GTX's, I could move to three monitors later? Currently I use the machine for everything from graphic design to web dev to serious gaming (none of that fun stuff) :)  So if those two cards could be used to drive the two 24 inchers now,and then game on 3 monitors later, I would be more inclined to that. Although...
Score
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2010 3:02:37 AM

techmaniac said:
So if I SLI a pair of MSI Cyclone 460 GTX's, I could move to three monitors later?

Yes.
Score
November 2, 2010 6:05:13 PM

So the only selling point of eyefinity is the use of a single card for multiple display gaming.

Also, I've seen a comment on the MSI Cyclone as it being wide with the aftermarket heatsink. As such, the post mentions that users shouldn't place both cards next to each other in SLI configurations. I thought SLI had a little strip that connected the cards together (circuit connector)? Is that not the case anymore with SLI?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2010 6:35:08 PM

SLi still requires a bridge connector (the little strip) and the bit about having the cards too close together is sometimes over exaggerated due to heat concerns, if you have thought ahead and got a motherboard where the primary and secondary are far enough apart to accommodate dual slot cards then you shouldn't have anything to worry about on that front.
Score
November 4, 2010 2:03:49 AM

Is the SLI bridge connector able to lengthen if the cards are spaced out more?

It's sorta down to a pair of cyclones or possibly the SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB. The Sapphire is roughly $30 less than two MSI 460s.

==Edit==

Scratch that! I don't have SLI support on this board. Seems it is a crossfire enabled board. <Sigh>
Score

Best solution

a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2010 2:07:20 AM

All the SLi bridges I've used were stiff PCB like boards and they are just the right length to span the gap between the slots that can be used hence why they are part of the motherboard bundle and do not come with the cards.
November 4, 2010 2:19:24 AM

Best answer selected by techmaniac.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2010 2:22:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!