Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Completely removing on board sound card

Last response: in Components
March 26, 2011 10:47:26 AM

Hello,

I'm installing a new Asus Xonar DG sound card and I want to completely remove the "Integrated Realtek HD Audio ALC662 6 channel codec" so I do not run in to any trouble.
I noticed that I can remove the on board sound card with four possible ways.

Add or Remove Programs:
Listed as "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver"

Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices under Sounds and Audio Device's Hardware tab:
Listed as Realtek High Definition Audio
Note- There are possibly three other objects that might be related to Realtek:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices

Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers:
Listed the same 4 objects as "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices under Sounds and Audio Device's Hardware tab"

Disabling on board sound with BIOS:
Do I do this step first or last? Before powering down everything and opening the computer to install the new card.

Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz
3.24 GB of RAM

Best solution

March 26, 2011 11:48:58 AM

You Only need these two steps:

Add or Remove Programs:
Listed as "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver"

Reboot your system back up and into Win XP. It is almost always require to remove files that were "in use".......

Now Reboot Again, but enter the BIOS this time to:

Disabling on board sound with BIOS

Finally, power down everything and opening the computer to install the new card.

Once your up and running again, install the drivers for your New Sound card.....
March 26, 2011 3:03:44 PM

Best answer selected by Golden Gunstar.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2011 8:11:49 PM

So, up and running on your New Sound card? How does it sound?

m
l
March 27, 2011 2:13:29 AM

Yes everything thing went without a hatch, Thank you!
Sounds beautiful! All the music I've been playing sound great and I can hear all of the instruments coming threw lively.

I have one question do you know anything about Audacity?
I know I said nothing went wrong but there is something that Audacity is doing that is getting mildly annoying.

Thanks again!
m
l
March 27, 2011 2:24:31 AM

No, don't know anything about Audacity....

BUT, I"m always willing to do some research and learn.....ask away

BTW, I'm a bit of a fanatic on sound, vacuum tube amplifiers, boutique speakers, and crazy expensive wire... BUT, I've never but a sound card like yours into a PC. Is it really that much better?
m
l
March 27, 2011 10:23:25 PM

"BTW, I'm a bit of a fanatic on sound, vacuum tube amplifiers, boutique speakers, and crazy expensive wire... BUT, I've never but a sound card like yours into a PC. Is it really that much better?"

The new sound card that I installed crushes the on board sound chip. It was actually quite sad how horrible music sounded from the on board sound chip. You know I doubt there would any differences between the sound quality of the new OB SC(possibly manufactured 2009-2010) to the old OB SC on my old Pentium 4 computer which was probably made around 2002-2003.

I can't compare my new PCI SC to a "vacuum tube amplifier" because unfortunately I don't have one. This would be my first amplifier for my AKG k81. From reading the Head-Fi forums about vacuum tube amps I can tell you that VTA's are going to have better components in them. I can't say much more because this card makes it my second sound card in 9 years. On my old computer I had a creative audigy sb0410.

m
l
!