BIOS but no POST beep?

Buren

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I did a test boot of my new build today and got to the BIOS screen just fine. However I get no POST beep on startup. Could this indicate a serious problem? I know the speaker is working, as I botted without RAM to test it - got the 3 beep warning tone.

One thing I'm worried about is the difficulty I had installing the heatsink fan. Could I have somehow damaged the mounted CPU hence the lack of a POST? Would I even get to BIOS if the CPU was damaged?

There is no visual damage, and it drops into the socket just fine, but as this is my first build I am a little nervous.

Thanks for the help!

Some motherboards have a setting for the one post beep; some don't use it anymore to indicate all is well. If your system posts fast and windows loads, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried about the heatsink, simply check the temp in the bios or use a hardware monitor program, such as coretemp. Coretemp and speedfan are known for not being accurate for all motherboards. If the temp with one of those programs is way off, then I check the bios hardware monitor section for the idle temp. It should be under 45c.

TRENDING THREADS