Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont start after memory upgrade Inspiron 560

Last response: in Memory
December 1, 2011 3:36:25 AM

Can't get much help from Dell because my warranty is out.I bought Dell certified RAM from Amazon but when I put it in and try and start up compter no much happens.The light comes on but nothing else.Only when I took it out did it work again.What could be the trouble because I still want to upgrade the memory?
a b } Memory
December 1, 2011 1:40:24 PM

The memory must be in matched sets; identical.

Go to "support.dell.com" and enter the Service Tag number. Then download the service manual. The specs will tell you what type of memory is compatible with this computer. Then buy matched sets of any known good brand such as Corsair. Install and re-start the computer.
m
l
December 1, 2011 6:39:42 PM

So the "Dell certified" 2GB chip wouldn't have worked anyway?I know when I opened up the side panel that had 1GB chips in the slots but not right next to each other.I should two 1GB chips instead?
m
l
a b } Memory
December 1, 2011 6:53:22 PM

Richpartist said:
So the "Dell certified" 2GB chip wouldn't have worked anyway?I know when I opened up the side panel that had 1GB chips in the slots but not right next to each other.I should two 1GB chips instead?

Whether 2GB modules work or not depends on the motherboard specs - you will find the specs in the service manual or in the user manual. Follow their recommendations and you will be fine.

"Dell certified" means it will work on Dell computers that are rated for that capacity of RAM.
m
l
!