Fuel consumption calculation wrong?

Hi Folks!

I've to admit that I'm a newbee, but I think I've stumbled upon
something which is explained differently elsewhere. So here we go:

From http://www.vgaplanets.com/v4doc/startf.htm refering to the Ship
Overview Screen:

> You can change the speed of the ship by dragging your mouse across
> the speed bar on the top left side of the screen. The speed of the
> ship is currently 9 and the ship has a max speed of 20. At the
> current speed the ship`s estimated time of arrival ( ETA ) is 9
> turns. The ship will burn a *total* of 1kt of fuel to travel to the
> set way point. The distance to the way point is 78 LY.

A *total* of 1kt of fuel...

This seems to be wrong. While testing I've noticed that the value for
the fuel consumption given in the overview screen relates to the fuel
consumed in the current turn. So, if we look at the above example this
would mean, that the ship would use a total of 9kt of fuel, since it is
traveling for 9 turns burning 1kt of fuel each turn.

From http://www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/v4startup.htm (search for
"efficient fuel use" to find the passage):

> Incidentally, the NAV screen speed control shows you estimated fuel
> consumption for all waypoints, whilst the Speed Setting control on
> the Ship Overview screen shows est. fuel to get to just the next
> waypoint. Took me a while to realise they were both right, and were
> not disagreeing with each other!

This is another thing I cannot confirm according to my testing. I think
the nav screen shows the correct ETA for *all* waypoints, but the fuel
consumption behaves exactly as on the overview screen.

I downloaded v4beta20.exe dated Oct 11th, 2004 and host180.exe dated Nov
29th, 2004.

Can someone confirm/refute my observations? Is this a bug? Do the
website I cited above refer to a different version of the game
(probably) wherein the problem was not existing?

Cheers!
Stefan
--
|\ | T | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
www. A.org | http://arc.pasp.de

Stefan Gandlau wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I've to admit that I'm a newbee, but I think I've stumbled upon
> something which is explained differently elsewhere. So here we go:
>
> From http://www.vgaplanets.com/v4doc/startf.htm refering to the Ship
> Overview Screen:

There is a newsgroup for version 4, this one is just for the old
version 3.x.

Matthias

Stefan Gandlau wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> I've to admit that I'm a newbee, but I think I've stumbled upon
> something which is explained differently elsewhere. So here we go:
>
> From http://www.vgaplanets.com/v4doc/startf.htm refering to the Ship
> Overview Screen:

There is a newsgroup for version 4, this one is just for the old
version 3.x.

Matthias

<timwisseman@yahoo.com> wrote in message

[snipped]

> There is a newsgroup for version 4, this one is just for the old
> version 3.x.
>
> Matthias

Love your address!

I think I will register "somewhereintheechocluster" just so I can have a
cool addy too!

--

Regards,
Merlyn

[..]
> There is a newsgroup for version 4, this one is just for the old
> version 3.x.
>
> Matthias

Matthis, thanks for your hint.

Bye,
Stefan
--
|\ | T | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
| \ | /\ C | - against HTML email X
| \| \/ P | & vCards / \
www. A.org | http://arc.pasp.de

As also this is the wrong newsgroup:

Overview fuel consumption only show the fuel consumption for ONE turn ... no
matter if you try to fly more than one turn! Navscreen will show the correct
fuel consumption!

Mydgard

"Stefan Gandlau" <sgandlau@cs.tu-berlin.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi Folks!
>
> I've to admit that I'm a newbee, but I think I've stumbled upon
> something which is explained differently elsewhere. So here we go:
>
> From http://www.vgaplanets.com/v4doc/startf.htm refering to the Ship
> Overview Screen:
>
> > You can change the speed of the ship by dragging your mouse across
> > the speed bar on the top left side of the screen. The speed of the
> > ship is currently 9 and the ship has a max speed of 20. At the
> > current speed the ship`s estimated time of arrival ( ETA ) is 9
> > turns. The ship will burn a *total* of 1kt of fuel to travel to the
> > set way point. The distance to the way point is 78 LY.
>
> A *total* of 1kt of fuel...
>
> This seems to be wrong. While testing I've noticed that the value for
> the fuel consumption given in the overview screen relates to the fuel
> consumed in the current turn. So, if we look at the above example this
> would mean, that the ship would use a total of 9kt of fuel, since it is
> traveling for 9 turns burning 1kt of fuel each turn.
>
> From http://www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/v4startup.htm (search for
> "efficient fuel use" to find the passage):
>
> > Incidentally, the NAV screen speed control shows you estimated fuel
> > consumption for all waypoints, whilst the Speed Setting control on
> > the Ship Overview screen shows est. fuel to get to just the next
> > waypoint. Took me a while to realise they were both right, and were
> > not disagreeing with each other!
>
> This is another thing I cannot confirm according to my testing. I think
> the nav screen shows the correct ETA for *all* waypoints, but the fuel
> consumption behaves exactly as on the overview screen.
>
> I downloaded v4beta20.exe dated Oct 11th, 2004 and host180.exe dated Nov
> 29th, 2004.
>
> Can someone confirm/refute my observations? Is this a bug? Do the
> website I cited above refer to a different version of the game
> (probably) wherein the problem was not existing?
>
> Cheers!
> Stefan
> --
> |\ | T | ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
> | \ | /\ C | - against HTML email X
> | \| \/ P | & vCards / \
> www. A.org | http://arc.pasp.de

Bobwilliams

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
This calculator requires the use of Javascript enabled and capable browsers. It is to determine the fuel (what ever it is) consumption of a vehicle, based on kilometers driven and liters, Imperial gallons or US gallons of fuel used, and optionally, the direct fuel expense per kilometer. (You may substitute either liters, Imperial gallons or US Gallons consistently in this calculator. You may also substitute Euros or dollars as long as it is consistent throughout.) All entries should be numeric. The current odometer reading MUST be greater than the previous odometer reading. The calculator assumes that the tank was full when you recorded the Previous Odometer reading. If you know the exact number of kilometers since the last fill, you can enter it direct in the Trip Odometer field instead of Current and Previous data entries.

Bobwilliams
Used Cars