Some strange waves on a Canon 1 D mk II sensor : any idea ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 24, 2005 3:54:22 PM

Hi,

As I performed a cleaning of my 1D mk II sensor (with a sensor swab
and with all the requested cares), I used to take a picture with a
bellow to the max. magnification in order to see whether some dust was
remaining on it. This method was very powerful with a 10D.

I noticed a curious pattern over the sensor in a tiny area, making
some waves on it, still present on the sensor after proceeding a
second cleaning. It looks like some old dessicated oil.

I put a picture (b/w with enhanced contrast) here :
http://cjoint.com/?byvSKPh5id

Anyone would have a idea of was it is ? A defect on the low-pass
filter, some ugly solvant ?

Many thanks for your help,

Jean-Michel
January 24, 2005 7:28:28 PM

"JM GROULT" <jmgroult@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As I performed a cleaning of my 1D mk II sensor (with a sensor swab
> and with all the requested cares), I used to take a picture with a
> bellow to the max. magnification in order to see whether some dust was
> remaining on it. This method was very powerful with a 10D.
>
> I noticed a curious pattern over the sensor in a tiny area, making
> some waves on it, still present on the sensor after proceeding a
> second cleaning. It looks like some old dessicated oil.

It looks to me like some super-fine fibers or hair, perhaps something that
was on the swab that transferred to the screen, and too small to see.

Also note: Nothing you attach to the body lens mount has any effect on
something on the sensor. Magnification is done by the lens/bellows, not the
sensor.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:27:08 PM

JM GROULT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I performed a cleaning of my 1D mk II sensor (with a sensor swab
> and with all the requested cares), I used to take a picture with a
> bellow to the max. magnification in order to see whether some dust
was
> remaining on it. This method was very powerful with a 10D.
>
> I noticed a curious pattern over the sensor in a tiny area, making
> some waves on it, still present on the sensor after proceeding a
> second cleaning. It looks like some old dessicated oil.
>
> I put a picture (b/w with enhanced contrast) here :
> http://cjoint.com/?byvSKPh5id

You annotated the image(!); "linear wave", "rounded waves", all typed
neatly and even with a size scale. How cute. I love you.

Please help him. He's a darling.

> Anyone would have a idea of was it is ? A defect on the low-pass
> filter, some ugly solvant ?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Jean-Michel
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:09:38 AM

"JM GROULT" <jmgroult@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi,
snipped
> Anyone would have a idea of was it is ? A defect on the low-pass
> filter, some ugly solvant ?
> Many thanks for your help,
> Jean-Michel

Can you see any effects on your images, say, with an aperture of f/16 or
f/22 ?

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK