Toshiba R100 suddenly very slow(!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

Hello

Just recently got a Toshiba R100 equipped with Centrino 1.1Ghz with
1/2Gb and got Xp and Fedora Core running 2.6.10.

Suddenly the machine has become very very slow. Both in Linux and XP.
I checked the BIOS settings but even by setting the CPU always at full
speed there is no difference. The machine is essentially not usable -
takes about 10mins to boot up XP for example.

Any hints? Many thanks.

Alex

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

"C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
> x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
> x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
> x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

512mb not enough????????????????

What has become of us? Slaves to the RAM GOD?

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

In "Toshiba R100 suddenly very slow(!)", alex69uk@gmail.com (Alex) wrote:

>Suddenly the machine has become very very slow. Both in Linux and XP.
>I checked the BIOS settings but even by setting the CPU always at full
>speed there is no difference. The machine is essentially not usable -
>takes about 10mins to boot up XP for example.
>
>Any hints? Many thanks.

With only one OS, my first guess would be a virus; although much less likely to
have infected both systems simultaneously, you could conceivably have done it by
performing the same (bad) action in both systems... Likewise if you have
deliberately introduced any utility process - eg. some anti-virus utilities can
be real resource hogs.

There are various utilities available (eg. SiSoft Sandra) that will tell you the
actual CPU clock speed, so you can check if the CPU is really running as fast as
it should be. A 10min boot time is definitely not right unless you're running a
full disc check each time.

Problem with the HDD? Read errors could slow its operation significantly (but
usually only as a precursor to imminent total HDD failure). You can run any
utility that uses the SMART feature of drives to give you more info about the
current state of the drive (eg. error rate and transfer mode). You wouldn't
normally see errors happening with a new drive, though, unless it had been
subjected to severe mechanical shock.

Problem with RAM? Check operation thoroughly with MemTest. As to size, the 512MB
that someone mentioned is not unreasonable even with XP, and gives tons of
headroom with Linux. I don't believe the problem is too little RAM, especially
since your system worked fine before.

Last & worst: a fault has developed with your motherboard or CPU? The only
solution here is a replacement (under warranty, hopefully).

Hope any of this helps...