Toshiba R100 suddenly very slow(!)

Hello

Just recently got a Toshiba R100 equipped with Centrino 1.1Ghz with
1/2Gb and got Xp and Fedora Core running 2.6.10.

Suddenly the machine has become very very slow. Both in Linux and XP.
I checked the BIOS settings but even by setting the CPU always at full
speed there is no difference. The machine is essentially not usable -
takes about 10mins to boot up XP for example.

Any hints? Many thanks.

Alex
4 answers Last reply
More about toshiba r100 suddenly slow

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    "C.Joseph Drayton" <kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote in message

    > x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
    > x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
    > x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
    > x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    512mb not enough????????????????

    What has become of us? Slaves to the RAM GOD?

    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    In "Toshiba R100 suddenly very slow(!)", alex69uk@gmail.com (Alex) wrote:

    >Suddenly the machine has become very very slow. Both in Linux and XP.
    >I checked the BIOS settings but even by setting the CPU always at full
    >speed there is no difference. The machine is essentially not usable -
    >takes about 10mins to boot up XP for example.
    >
    >Any hints? Many thanks.

    With only one OS, my first guess would be a virus; although much less likely to
    have infected both systems simultaneously, you could conceivably have done it by
    performing the same (bad) action in both systems... Likewise if you have
    deliberately introduced any utility process - eg. some anti-virus utilities can
    be real resource hogs.

    There are various utilities available (eg. SiSoft Sandra) that will tell you the
    actual CPU clock speed, so you can check if the CPU is really running as fast as
    it should be. A 10min boot time is definitely not right unless you're running a
    full disc check each time.

    Problem with the HDD? Read errors could slow its operation significantly (but
    usually only as a precursor to imminent total HDD failure). You can run any
    utility that uses the SMART feature of drives to give you more info about the
    current state of the drive (eg. error rate and transfer mode). You wouldn't
    normally see errors happening with a new drive, though, unless it had been
    subjected to severe mechanical shock.

    Problem with RAM? Check operation thoroughly with MemTest. As to size, the 512MB
    that someone mentioned is not unreasonable even with XP, and gives tons of
    headroom with Linux. I don't believe the problem is too little RAM, especially
    since your system worked fine before.

    Last & worst: a fault has developed with your motherboard or CPU? The only
    solution here is a replacement (under warranty, hopefully).

    Hope any of this helps...

Windows XP Toshiba Laptops