Http://www tomshardware com/forum/298856-33-laptop-external-video-card

Debrosse

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hi,
I have a broken graphics card on my dell XPS M1330 laptop. I get lines across the screen when I turn it on. I have hooked it up to an external monitor and can get into safe mode. Sometimes I get the 'blue screen of death' which states there is something wrong with the graphics card. I am not interested in using the laptop screen but would like to use the external monitor as a primary monitor. Is there any kind of external video card that would enable me to bypass the integrated video card and let me use the external monitor?

Thanks for your help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
No, because you will still have the defective GPU on the motherboard casuing the problems you are now experiencing.

BTW, when you connect an external monitor (in safe mode), does the monitor display images properly? If you toggle between internal/external displays, does it make a difference?

Last, are you using the current Nvidia drivers for your GPU?

Debrosse

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
When I am in safe mode the monitor does not display images properly. there are some green squares lines running vertically. I have tried the latest drivers, sometimes the computer works for a couple hours and then dies again.

The laptop does not work at all on the internal display. I have to turn it on and close it immediately for it to display on the external monitor.

Do you know any possible solutions? I really appreciate your help.