Sign in with
Your question

How to install win7 on SSD with upgrade disk, clean install from XP?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 9:59:37 PM

Currently running XP on one 80gb HDD, and I have a 300gb HDD for media.

Just bought a 64gb SSD and Windows 7 upgrade disk, I am aware that I need to do a clean install.

I want to have the win7 installed on the SSD and have the 300gb still usable for misc files.

My plan of attack was this:

1.) Install SSD where current 300gb is installed.
2.) Do the clean install of windows 7 and tell it to install on the new SSD.
3.) Replace the 80gb with the 300gb drive.

Does it work like that?? Or is it going to be a problem because my XP is currently installed on the 80gb that is going in the TRASH. I feel like this might be a little more complex than I originally anticipated...
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:20:39 PM

Yes, it will be a problem..; MS unfortunately does not just 'take you at your word' that you had XP on some other disk, and allow a new/clean install from an upgrade disk.

You might need to install XP on the SSD, then the Win7 Upgrade...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:23:14 PM

I would disconnect your 300GB drive then clone your 80GB to your new SSD. then disconnect the 80GB drive. Now you have xp on your new SSD and no other drives connected. Now do your upgrade/clean install. then reconnect the drives that you want.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:24:14 PM

Could I just install windows 7 on my current regular hard drive, then once its done just clone the disk image of windows 7 on to my new SSD?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:27:03 PM

Matix7 i would be worred about trim. it would be best to install 7 on the SSD.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:35:35 PM

anonymous1 said:
Matix7 i would be worred about trim. it would be best to install 7 on the SSD.

GREAT idea, clone xp to the SSD now, then upgrade from there. Brilliant. After I clone to the SSD and remove the 80gb drive, how do I change the SSD to be the C: drive and tell my computer to boot with that?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 1, 2011 10:42:02 PM

If it is the only drive hooked up it will be the C: drive
m
l
March 3, 2011 2:13:20 PM

I looked into cloning but my 120gb Intel X25-M SSD was way too small to fit all my data, and I did not successfully find whether it is possible to clone only specific folders or programs. Besides, I don't mind a clean install once in a while.

But, anyway, what I had to end up doing was swap the order of my HDD and SSD in the BIOS and stay in IDE mode (BSOD otherwise). Having the Upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate, I had to boot with the XP DVD first. This was not happening. BSOD, yet again.
I ended up reading someplace that using Windows 7 to create a primary partition on the new SSD. I did that and performed the boot-from-dvd sequence again. Voila! Blue screen...but the right blue screen--the "would you like to install xp" blue screen.
Next, I installed XP. Once I finished, I booted from the Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade DVD, and installed new virus software (since it was time to renew anyway).

Once 7 was installed, I went into the registry, on advice from another forum online, and changed the superfetch, prefetch and MSahci values to "0". Rebooted, stopped a the bios and set AHCI and saved. Then restarted, and I be flyin mayne!

Bear in mind, I have only Windows 7, AVG, World of Warcraft, and Windows Media (music files), but from the time the Windows 7 boot screen finishes its little light dance, I average around 4 seconds to fully functional desktop, including wireless internet connection. Additionally, with my current configuration, upon login to WoW, I went from an average of 1.3 minutes to select toon and load into Orgrimmar, waiting for all the characters to draw in and textures and whatnot, to a grand total of 11 seconds...I know much of this may be immaterial to this forum; forgive me, I am just very pleased.

Hemphill
m
l
!