Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I install toshiba HD in Dell Inspiron 1525?

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2011 11:46:05 PM

This is simple yes or no question.
The original drive was a 120GB WD.
The most popular hard drive upgrade is the WD5000BEVT.
My HP has a 500GB 7200RPM drive from Toshiba.
My question is simple enough. When I upgrade the HP, can I upgrade the Dell with the HP drive. Replace the Dell WD drive with HP Toshibe drive. It would very nice if I could do that. The upgrade for the HP costs about $30 more than the WD5000BEVT, but I'd be able upgrade both computers with the purchase of only one drive if the pull from the HP will work in the Dell.
OK, I've restated this at least four times, so what is the answer, yea or nay? <G>
Thanks.

Best solution

January 2, 2011 1:21:25 AM

Yea....
...though I think you might have to format the Toshiba HD first (unless the Dell upgrade formats the drive as it goes through the upgrade)...with a 2nd small partition (12-15gb) for Dell's mirror/clone of the OS that typically goes on it (at least that's what Dell does with Dimensions)...
January 14, 2011 1:41:47 AM

Best answer selected by v491138.
m
l
January 14, 2011 1:50:49 AM

kitaware said:
Yea....
...though I think you might have to format the Toshiba HD first (unless the Dell upgrade formats the drive as it goes through the upgrade)...with a 2nd small partition (12-15gb) for Dell's mirror/clone of the OS that typically goes on it (at least that's what Dell does with Dimensions)...

I appreciate the extra info though not requested. How I originally did this was with a freeware program, SavePart. A DOS, Win, and Linux versions come with the ISO. Great HD imaging program usable with your DOS bootable external HD. Image original system, install new HD, restore image to new HD. Just didn't know ahead of time that it would work.
Thanks.
m
l
!