Sign in with
Your question

Antec Sonata Designer 500 and front usb 3.0

Last response: in Components
March 26, 2011 7:53:30 PM

Hi.

The Antec Sonata Designer 500 (with Earthwatt 500 PSU) is a couple years old I think and is currently housing my XP Sp 3 system without usb 3.0 of course. I'm gonna build a new system with usb 3.0 mobo, etc. and would like to keep this case. Will hooking up front usb 3.0 with this current case be an issue. I know that I can of course get it in the back of the case as the mobo will have 2 usb 3.0's there, but I transfer to external hdd quite a bit and would like it in the front for easy access.

Thank you.
a b ) Power supply
March 26, 2011 9:39:03 PM

Sorry, not going to happen with that old case....

The USB connectors build into the front panel are USB 2.0 (usually black plastic). You would need to replace those connectors with USB 3.0 (usually blue plastic)...

m
l
March 26, 2011 9:44:42 PM

jb6684 said:
Sorry, not going to happen with that old case....

The USB connectors build into the front panel are USB 2.0 (usually black plastic). You would need to replace those connectors with USB 3.0 (usually blue plastic)...

Rats! Oh well I guess I could use the back 3.0 for now. Is there a kit for that or should I just eventually get a new case? I like Antec, cause they're quiet and solid.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 26, 2011 9:50:12 PM

It's very rare to find any kits for changing or upgrading any case.....

I built a system in your case, it's not quiet compared to this case :

If you want quiet. With NO rattles. This is your case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129174

Dual chamber design isolates heat and noise: the power supply resides in a separate chamber to isolate heat and reduce system noise

Innovative three-layer, sound-deadening side panels and front door (aluminum, plastic, aluminum) dampen noise and ensure Quiet Computing

Front door vents, as well as wider vents along the door frame, improve airflow into the chassis.

Filters and filter doors are integrated as one unit. The doors themselves have been modified to provide greater airflow, resulting in cooler system temperatures.

Drive bay covers are vented and include air filters to provide better airflow.

Lower chamber fan is now located in front of the hard drive cage, allowing for installation of longer PSUs as well as easier cable routing between the lower HD cage and the power supply.

CPU cut-out allows for easy installation of CPU coolers
m
l
!