Power supply making crackling noise...

biggoomer

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I recently switched out my 600w OCZ for a new 650w XFX. I read that this power supply was great and I haven't really had any problems with it shutting down on me or anything.

I noticed that it does produce a very high-pitched noise which ends up being drowned out by the rest of the components. The main issue I have is the annoying "crackling" noise it makes. The sounds resembles that of a quiet harddrive as it reads and writes (it's not my harddrive, I checked). I suspected that it was the fan so I did shine a light in and spin the fan a few times through the mesh (I never actually opened the unit) but nothing obvious happened. I noticed the same noise when I plugged this PSU into an older system that doesn't consume over 200w...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You need to support worst case PEAKs and SPIKEs if you don't your going to crash randomly, PERIOD..... 675watts is worst case and you can not get that out of a 650watt supply ....

The two supplies you listed are 750watt supplies. The Antec is a good supply the other, ah, nah....

The other factor, capacitor aging, after a year or two that 750watt supply will not output 750watts, so, it will go from okay to won't do the job..... Buy the Antec 750watt it will be good for 2--3 years.... just don't OC anything

jb6684

Distinguished
Why did you change power supplies?

High pitched sound is from cheap inductors....

Gently stop the fan in the XFX power supply from spinning my hand, see if that stops the other noise....

Too many people under estimate the importance of a strong, quality power supply. Choose one from Corsair, Antec TP, or Seasonic...
650watts will work for any single GPU system.
850Watts will work for all but the highest end dual GPU systems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

I love the Corsair 850HX supplies because they remain dead silent to almost 600watts...

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-1/hx850w.html

biggoomer

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I was going to add a second GTX 460 to system and this power supply was recomended. It also checked out on the Sli-Zone.

I was told from reviews and people that this was a high-quality power supply. I did have a look at the antec but I decided against at the last moment for this one.

jb6684

Distinguished
In that case return the XFX 650 watt supply NOW if you can.....

Good, bad, working, defective, or not doesn't matter 650watts is simply TOO SMALL for an SLI pair of 460's....

Check my profile I'm running an SLI pair of MSI Hawk Talon Attacks, the system draw OVER 600watts if I don't OC anything. In full OC mode I"m drawing almost 700watts. (measure from the wall with a KillAWatt meter...)

You need an 850watt supply to do SLI right......

biggoomer

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks alot for the help, I'll get that sent in...

Do you have any suggestions? I'd really like to spend under $80 (you can include rebates...). It would help alot if it was modular but I suppose I could make do without it.

jb6684

Distinguished
You can score the Corsair HX850 for about $135 on sale..... it's one bad ass supply, really measures more like a 900 or 950 watt supply.......

Hmmm, sorry, 850watts isn't going to happen for $80 your going to need at least $120 after rebate....

Hey this is an AWESOME supply at a killer price...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013

Stick with Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic and you won't go wrong..... just save up a bit

biggoomer

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

jb6684

Distinguished
You need to support worst case PEAKs and SPIKEs if you don't your going to crash randomly, PERIOD..... 675watts is worst case and you can not get that out of a 650watt supply ....

The two supplies you listed are 750watt supplies. The Antec is a good supply the other, ah, nah....

The other factor, capacitor aging, after a year or two that 750watt supply will not output 750watts, so, it will go from okay to won't do the job..... Buy the Antec 750watt it will be good for 2--3 years.... just don't OC anything

Solution

TRENDING THREADS