How to solve my oven dillema

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
What would more effectively cool my CPU? Should I get a new fan for my heat sink or a new case fan? I recently bought a Cooler Master Hyper N520 but surprisingly it did not have much of an impact (by the way I reapplied the thermal past several times so I know that's not the issue). I am still getting temps at around 80c max. Any fan recommendations would be appreciated. The heat sink takes two 92mm fans and the case has two 120mm. Noise or price isn't an issue and I have plenty of power.

What case do you have?

What is your ambient temperature?

To answer your question, I don't think new fans on the cooler will help.

As a rule, coolers with small fans do not cool as well as those with 120 or 140mm fans.

Does your case have good ventilation? Take the sides off of the case, and direct a small house fan at the innards. If that solves your problem, you have a case cooling issue.

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Here is the case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2477938. According to speedfan the ambient temps are around the same as the cpu. Its a bit crowded so no it probably doesn't have good ventilation. So your suggesting that I should upgrade the case fans?

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Oh ok the ambient temp is probably about 25c. Well if real temp is right then I never really had an overheating issue in the first place lol. I'll still add a new fan though just in case. Thanks for the help.

jb6684

Distinguished
What CPU do you have?

Yeah, 65watt chips are basically impossible to overheat....

95watt chips, may need an after market cooler if your doing some OC'ing.....

125watt chips, like i7-900 series well hey they are why I don't sleep at night if your trying to hit 4Ghz.....

akiman89

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I'm running a E8200 stock clocked @ 2.66 and RealTemp is Showing 40c at Idle and 50c at full Load
I have a Hyper 212 and I even reapplied some Tuniq TX-3 to try and get the temps down is this normal?

BTW my thermostat says its 78 F = 25.55c

DoubleAG

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

You shouldn't be concerned about 50c. According to Intel that cpu can handle up to around 70c.