Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Computer Build - thoughts ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 2, 2011 3:27:02 AM

Hi everybody !

This will be the first time that I will be building a computer so am after some feedback as to how you think this system will be, what I can change, suggestions etc ?

This will be used as a gaming PC.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (thought on which one ?)
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HDD: Western Digital 1TB RE4 WD1003FBYX
Case: Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case
O/S: Windows 7 32bit

Any help would be awesome, as I said this is my first build so not 100% sure if all components match up or not ?

Thanks,
Kenjii
a b B Homebuilt system
January 2, 2011 3:55:25 AM

IMO wait a week to SB comes out ( 586 bucks for a CPU for a gaming rig ? ) really there is no need for that high of a CPU / MOBO / RAM for a gaming PC

+ that 32 bit OS you have will only see 3.5 gigs of ram


In the next few days to SB comes out look at a few website

http://www.anandtech.com/

http://benchmarkreviews.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-overclocki...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended...
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 4:00:22 AM

Everything will work together except maybe Windows 7 32 bits, get the 64 bits. It would work, but you will only be able to use ~3.5GB of your 6GB.

If this is for gaming, I would probably go a bit more conservative on the CPU/Motherboard and put the saved money toward a better GPU or an SSD for the OS. Just by getting an i7-950 instead of the i7-960 would save you 300$, going for an ASUS Sabertooth X58 instead of the ASUS Rampage III Formula would save you an additional 100$ and going for a non-modular PSU like the 850TX would save you an extra 40$ (could save more by going to a 750TX, it is more than enough for your build).

Even more money could be saved by going with an i5-760, 4GB of RAM and a P55 motherboard; with the same GPU, the performance difference in games would be minimal compared to you pricier build. Just saying.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2011 5:49:20 AM

First thing i should point out, this wont be a strictly gaming PC. I work from home as a trader, so I need a fast reliable system for all things business related (internet, email,spread sheets, charts, blah blah, etc etc.), playing a few DVD's/BD as well, yet also used as a gaming rig for my time off.

Eventually I will be running 4x24" monitors so I'll have to pick up a 2nd graphics card anyway but for now I'll be on just 2x24".

Thanks for the advice about the 64bit, will be getting that now > the 32bit.

have about $2200 (AUD) to spend on the system. want something that will last, be reliable, fast and enjoyable to use.

Thanks,
Kenjii.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 2, 2011 5:51:45 AM

gaming will stress any CPU more than email & spreadsheets.

wait for sandy bridge
m
0
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 2, 2011 3:19:32 PM

1) Wait to Jan 9 for sandy bridge. You will be able to get a faster cpu for 1/2 the price.
You will need a P67 based motherboard. All the usual good vendors will have them.

2) Look for a sandforce based SSD for the os and apps. Use a hard drive for storage and backup. Everything you do will be much snappier. It is the best performance boost you can buy today.

3) Get 8gb of ram in a 2 x 4gb kit. W7 will keep everything in ram in anticipation of reuse.

4) Graphics cards are OK. I happen to like Nvidia GTX570 better, but ati is really ok, and they have their fans too.
Use the strong card for gaming, and get a second cheap card to hold monitors 3 & 4 whith relatively static info like charts and e-mail.

5) PSU is good.

6) Download and read the manual for the case to see what is involved in building. When available, do the same for the motherboard.

7) I suggest a oem cpu cooler up front. It will keep your cpu cooler and quieter. If you will OC with a "K" processor, you should be able to go higher and easier. Look for a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan; most any will do. CM hiper 212 is ok, and cheap.
Prolimatech megahalems rev b is about as good as it gets.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 2, 2011 3:46:42 PM

geofelt said:
1) Wait to Jan 9 for sandy bridge. You will be able to get a faster cpu for 1/2 the price.
You will need a P67 based motherboard. All the usual good vendors will have them.

2) Look for a sandforce based SSD for the os and apps. Use a hard drive for storage and backup. Everything you do will be much snappier. It is the best performance boost you can buy today.

3) Get 8gb of ram in a 2 x 4gb kit. W7 will keep everything in ram in anticipation of reuse.

4) Graphics cards are OK. I happen to like Nvidia GTX570 better, but ati is really ok, and they have their fans too.
Use the strong card for gaming, and get a second cheap card to hold monitors 3 & 4 whith relatively static info like charts and e-mail.

5) PSU is good.

6) Download and read the manual for the case to see what is involved in building. When available, do the same for the motherboard.

7) I suggest a oem cpu cooler up front. It will keep your cpu cooler and quieter. If you will OC with a "K" processor, you should be able to go higher and easier. Look for a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan; most any will do. CM hiper 212 is ok, and cheap.
Prolimatech megahalems rev b is about as good as it gets.


+1 to the above
IMO i think with the money you save on the CPU a 100 to 120 gigs SSD would be a better call
Also if you go for the GTX 570 IMO, If your going to OC them and the CPU i would do a Corsair 1000W PSU

A Combo deal that saves 40 bucks http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
January 2, 2011 4:24:57 PM

Kenjii said:
First thing i should point out, this wont be a strictly gaming PC. I work from home as a trader, so I need a fast reliable system for all things business related (internet, email,spread sheets, charts, blah blah, etc etc.), playing a few DVD's/BD as well, yet also used as a gaming rig for my time off.
I don't thing the extra 0.14GHz of the i7-960 over the i7-950 will make that much of a difference, certainly not 300$ worth of difference. I would rather put that money in a Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB, your machine will be so much more responsive and you applications will start much faster than with a faster CPU.
Kenjii said:
Eventually I will be running 4x24" monitors so I'll have to pick up a 2nd graphics card anyway but for now I'll be on just 2x24".
What monitors do you currently have or are planning to buy? For a quad monitor setup, I would tend to go toward the ATI card because it already has 4 outputs (2xDVI + 2xDP) and because of EyeFinity.

I think that even with your requirements, a P55 platform would be more than enough, just get a board that supports x8x8 SLI/XFire and you will be able to use dual video cards without any issue; the performance difference is less than 5% compared to x16x16 anyway. By the time an i5-760 + P55 board gets obsolete, an i7-950 on X58 will be too anyway.

Plus wait for Sandy Bridge in a week.
m
0
l
!