Need help upgrading dell to max power

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellscavenger1987

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hello, I am an interesting computer user. I like to consider myself an avid gamer yet the highest end pc game I have is neverwinter nights 2. I would of course love to play crysis, fallout3, and final fantasy 14 if I owned them. Currently I recently attained an old dell dimension 9150 which was a lot better than my dimension 4850. The problem I had before was a motherboard that was too old for further upgrades but now I have this dimension 9150 to play with. I have moved everything over into the 9150 and am ready to bring it up to full power hardware wise, the only problem I am having is finding out where to go. Here is the current configuration that I have (I am pulling these numbers from memory)

Dell Dimension 9150
Windows xp SP3 Home
Intel Pentium 4 Core 2 2.8 ghz
2gb DDR2 663mhz ram
Radeon X300 128mb graphics card

The motherboard is pci-express 1.0 and from what I have read the system has a 375w psu. The strange thing about this system is that it was sold by dell with the core 2 processor when others have stated that the motherboard for this machine is missing a power modulater needed for core 2 processors. So here are my final questions.

What video card should I get to bring this system up to its maximum gaming potential. If the card is a little bit stronger than my system can handle thats ok because eventually when I get a newer system (if I get one) I can transfer it over to the new system.

Can I get a better processor? The socket type is 775 and the system says it supports dual core and hyper threading but some forums I have read say the motherboard doesn't have the power modulater needed for those, yet my system seems to already have one.

Eventually I will bring my ram up to a full 4gb and bring my OS up to windows 7 but for right now I am kind of setting goals to bring this system to its maximum capability So it can last a long time. If you need to know what games I am aming to play on it I would love to run starcraft 2 on high settings and final fantasy 14 on the best settings I can get.

p.s. I know I should just buy a new computer but its just not financially viable now or any time soon.

Solution

Again, the system wasn't sold with Core2 it was sold with Pentium 4 Dual core aka Pentium D.

What about the card ? It's a pos that can drag an entire system down all by itself
A 5670 would be a good upgrade, you could get away with a 5770, I don't think the system is worth spending that kind of money on though .

The system was sold with Pentium D Dual Core cpu's, not Core2Duo.

dellscavenger1987

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I can't find the forum posts I read that in but I believe one was here on tomshardware and the other was on dell but like you say if the system sold with the processor it should support it. So about that video card....

Again, the system wasn't sold with Core2 it was sold with Pentium 4 Dual core aka Pentium D.

What about the card ? It's a pos that can drag an entire system down all by itself
A 5670 would be a good upgrade, you could get away with a 5770, I don't think the system is worth spending that kind of money on though .

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.