Sign in with
Your question

Bent Pins on LGA1155 socket

Last response: in Motherboards
December 1, 2011 10:11:47 PM

I bought ASUS P8Z68-v LX from ebay and it came damaged during shipment i guess despite it had its protective cap on. The seller said that he will not refund me cause he is accusing me for the damage.
... so i tried to bent them back to their original position and I believe they are all in a straight line with the other pins but they seem to stand a little bit lower than the others ... i have looked for a possible connection between them and there is none .. they all seem perfect except for that they stand little lower. Right now i am afraid to try and boot on the PC that's why i am writing here to find out what might happen if they are not in their correct position.
What will happen if they are just a little out of place and they still touch with the right spot on the bottom of the CPU. Actually my point is does they have to touch it right at the centre of that spot where the cpu and he pin should connect.
I also want to know if it is possible to fry my CPU.
I did my best to put them in a straight row but i am not sure if they are, even if i look very close they seem to be ok ...
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2011 10:58:49 PM

if they went in without problem their fine
December 1, 2011 11:06:53 PM

The LGA sockets are not like AMD's they dont go in :p  they are on the motherboard and the pins just touch the surface of the CPU :p 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2011 2:13:14 AM

well it went in without having to force it correct? then there shouldnt be a problem...
a c 97 V Motherboard
December 2, 2011 2:28:37 AM

Don't mess with it. You bought it from ebay and it came damaged. Seller corrects issue or you raise hell with ebay.

And stop buying stuff from ebay to prevent this from happening. Damaged pins in transit even with the cap on??? Right....
December 2, 2011 9:33:41 AM

I see but still is there any way that i could damage the cpu if i give it a try ? and the other thing i am curious about is does the pin have to touch the spot on the cpu right in the middle
a c 97 V Motherboard
December 2, 2011 11:03:14 AM

As long as the pins don't touch anything they aren't supposed to I doubt you'll fry anything. Make sure they don't touch each other, and make sure they touch the pad they should. They don't need to touch middle, but the closer to middle the better. If you have a new CPU you can see if they are where they are supposed to be. Each pin will make a small indentation in the pad. If each pad has a mark in the "center", then you're fine. Obviously if you use a used CPU this won't work...
December 2, 2011 11:12:26 AM

Thx for the advise. I have put the CPU on the socket and i can see the marks u are talking about i think maybe one or two of the pins have left their marks just a little out of the centre of those pads. Is that going to be a big problem ? Too bad the rest of my parts are coming in the middle of the next week i am anxious to try and see what will happen.... what do you think
a c 97 V Motherboard
December 2, 2011 2:13:58 PM

Again, they won't be "dead center". As long as they are mostly centerish then you'll be fine.

Did you have a new CPU? Did EVERY pad have a mark? If so you should be ok to use it. I still say leave him a bad review. If it had the protective pad over it and it was shipped, it should have been fine. He probably messed it up and just wanted it gone. People who take advantage of others shouldn't be allowed to "stay in business" for lack of better words.
December 2, 2011 2:19:30 PM

yeah they all have marks but like i said few of them are not right in the middle ... so i guess i should go for it and see if it boots when the other parts arrive ?
December 2, 2011 2:43:30 PM

yes, when you lock the cpu into the socket it pushes all the pins down to the bottom of the socket, so if they are sticking up then they should be fine. as long as they arent bent to the left or right and they are line up with the rest of the rows of pins the fire that puppy up
December 2, 2011 3:21:33 PM

unknownnoone said:
yeah they all have marks but like i said few of them are not right in the middle ... so i guess i should go for it and see if it boots when the other parts arrive ?

If all of the pads have a clear mark, then the pins have made good contact with the pad. Go for it.
December 16, 2011 2:57:52 PM

I found this on a google search... I just had a similar result, ASUS P8Z68-V LE motherboard from a Fry's Electronics, had bent pins out of the box and as such won't let me return it to fry's and ASUS says the warranty is void and to fix it will cost 120 bucks.

The motherboard was a 180 dollar board, to have to spend 300 on a board that was defective in the box is insane and I told them that too.

Its disappointing to me since I've been buying ASUS brand boards since 1998 and loved them and have always recommended them to other people, but a simple google search for LGA 1155 bent pins turns up multiple cases of this exact board coming with bent pins and people being told to essentially that it sucks to be them by ASUS support.

Suffice it to say, I won't be recommending them to anyone again in the future, nor will I be purchasing another board from them.
December 16, 2011 8:03:10 PM

yeah thats sad really ... but anyways thx for reminding me of that threat by posting here again :p  btw i tried to fix them as i said and i could not fix only one to its perfect position but still it was not that bad ... i risked i guess by trying to boot it up but it was ok ... the feeling was amazing :D  i tried some games then i tried some overclocking ... i actually got my i7 2600 to 4.4 ghz without any stability issues ... and as i am typing this i am playing crysis 2 all maxed out @60 fps :)  guess i was lucky :D 
January 13, 2012 8:27:14 PM

Just purchased a P8z68 from Newegg with a bent pin. First thing I do is to check for bent pins on mobo or cpu. It is hard to believe bent pin are caused in the manufacturing process itself but many motherboard are placed in unsealed anti static pouches and unsealed boxes, so tampering or switching would be very easy at distributors. For >$250 retail, you would think the manufacturer would seal the entire box. I had to purchase a another board and RMA the defective one due to time restraints , if the next board comes in with damage, I am doing a charge back.

Paul Meiners
February 11, 2012 4:11:14 AM

to: unknownnoone, Please advise as to how you accomplished that. I mean what did you use to straighten the pins? Did you have to use a magnifying glass? Thanks
April 30, 2012 8:34:49 PM

I just had the same issue with Asus P8-Z77-V. Two small pieces of plastic dust were lodged in the socket when I took off the cover to look at it, and a few pins in a corner were a little out of position. I used the tip of a zip tie to apply gentle pressure to the two pins and put them back in line with the others. It is perhaps 2/10th of a millimeter lower than the rest of the pins, but in the correct position. I'm going to try and boot it up with an i5-3570k once it arrives. Only unknown parameter is how the pins are held on the bottom, i.e. once they've been lose, is the integrity of the base of the pin still intact so that what appears to be the correct pin position actually will remain the correct pin position once pressure is applied.
!