Is the RAM really 1600 or 1333?

bhendin

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Hi guys, I haven't build a machine in years and some of this new RAM jargon is confusing. I'm not sure I am getting what was advertised...

Brand new ASUS F1A75-V EVO MB with a llano A8 in there.

I purchased the following RAM, which was listed specifically on the vendor list for this MB with ASUS:

Kingston KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX

(Technically, the ASUS vendor list lists only the /4GX part number...but I would have to think that they support 2x4GB as well as the 2x2GB.)

Anyway, this RAM is supposed to be DDR3 1600. However the ASUS BIOS seems to be saying it is 1333 in the main BIOS page.

I can go into BIOS and force the detection mode from AUTO to 1600 and then in the main screen it says 1600.

However, in the ASUS BIOS SPD Info tool it shows the following:

Maximum Bandwidth 1333

Then it lists three columns of data: JEDEC, EXT #1, EXT #2

Under JEDEC it list Frequency as 1333
Under EXT #1 it lists Frequency as 1600

Can someone enlighten me?

EDIT - BTW - I was told that for the llano chip I really wanted to be at 1600. So I'm confused if 1600 is simply 1333 overclocked. I want to make sure I'm optimizing my llano experience, but I don't wish to tinker around with oc.

thanks!

The problem lies in the auto setting in the bios , there is no way to tell what setting any of the auto settings use and you are better off selecting something other than auto in some of the selections. There are ones that you can leave alone but others like the cpu and memory and voltages you can choose something else and you aren't overclocking anything you are just setting the component in the bios to what it should be.

bhendin

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Can you please explain why, when force setting to 1600 the SPD tool still states that 1333 is the Max bandwidth?

I don't understand the columns in the SPD Info tool, but why is one stating 1333 and the other 1600?

thanks

bhendin

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Ok, maybe someone can explain in plainer english this information listed from the Kingston spec sheet:

"Kingston's KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX is a kit of two 512M x 64-bit (4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 2Rx8 memory modules, based on sixteen 256M x 8-bit DDR3 FBGA components per module. Each module kit supports Intel ® XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles). Total kit capacity is 8GB. Each
module kit has been tested to run at DDR3-1600 at a low latency timing of 9-9-9-27 at 1.65V
. The SPDs are programmed to JEDEC standard latency DDR3-1333 timing of 9-9-9 at 1.5V."

So it sounds like I should set my BIOS to 1600 with 9-9-9-26 at 1.65v, and not let it auto-detect, yes?

What I don't understand is the 2nd part in bold regarding the SPD being programmed to JEDEC 1333.

Can someone explain those terms to me?

thanks!

jemm

Distinguished
The Kit you´ve got has a XMP profile, so just set XMP in the Bios and the ram will automaticaly run at its original values (frequency, latancies and voltage).

Get into the Bios, then go to Ai Tweaker menu, then go to Ai Overclock tuner, then choose XMP.

That´s it!

bhendin

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
It's my understanding that XMP is for intel chipsets only, and as discussed above I have an AMD chip in there. Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe I saw XMP in my mobo.

Can anyone answer my question 2 posts above to explain to me about the SPD and JEDEC speeds?

Part of my concern is that this memory can only be run at higher speeds IF you have XMP on intel... and not really sure what to truly test the speed of my RAM if my BIOS reports its maximum freq. as 1333.

thanks!

jemm

Distinguished

ops very true...as for the kit you´ve got there might be an incompatibility issue regarding to its voltage, as your kit is 1.65V while just true 1.5V, JDEC-spec memory might work properly on your plataform.