Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading my E2160 to E7500 CPU can my PSU handle it?

Last response: in Components
March 27, 2011 7:54:12 AM

Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to look.

I currently have a Presario PC with a Pentium Dual Core E2160 CPU

the only things currently I have upgraded are my ram from 1g to 2gb (1gbx2)

and i added a Graphics card instead of the onboard. to a Radeon HD 4650.

My pc has served me well until recently its just not cutting anymore and I am going to be upgrading my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo E7500..

My main question is will my stock PSU of 250w be enough to handle the new cpu? or is my comp going to blow up? because that would truly be tragic.

Also I bought the CPU and its in the retail box. Will everything I need be included in the box?

Best solution

March 27, 2011 10:36:11 AM

If it was an HP PSU i would recommend a decent branded PSU upgrade. For that setup i would not imagin you would need anything beyond a good 450W supply. Even that will be more than enough.
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2011 10:53:16 AM

Cored17 said:
Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to look.

I currently have a Presario PC with a Pentium Dual Core E2160 CPU

the only things currently I have upgraded are my ram from 1g to 2gb (1gbx2)

and i added a Graphics card instead of the onboard. to a Radeon HD 4650.

My pc has served me well until recently its just not cutting anymore and I am going to be upgrading my CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo E7500..

My main question is will my stock PSU of 250w be enough to handle the new cpu? or is my comp going to blow up? because that would truly be tragic.

Also I bought the CPU and its in the retail box. Will everything I need be included in the box?
Both the E2160 and the E7500 are 65w CPUs and so will make nearly the same demands upon your PSU.
You will likely be pleased for awhile with the extra 800MHz speed increase, but the greatest benefit is the extra 2MB of cache. If you are as I was, in about 6 months you will begin to see your computer again as "not cutting it anymore", and at that point you will come back to Tom's seeking advice on a new build. :) 
Start saving your money...
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2011 12:12:54 PM

+1 on the E2160 and E7500 being about the same in the need for power....

Just to be sure on a second possible issue, Google the details on your motherboard (there is usually some identifier on the MB itself.

- look up the list of supported CPUs for you MB
- then be SURE that you have the latest BIOS installed BEFORE you swap to the new CPU

NOTE: you ONLY need to update the BIOS if it says you need a Newer revision of the BIOS to support the E7500....

m
l
March 27, 2011 12:55:14 PM

Thank you everyone who has contribruted. I appreciate it not sure how much difference it makes but i was incorrect in the CPU I ordered. it actually is the E7200 instead of the 7500 I got a much better deal on it. My motherboard does support the E7xxx series. And currently there is no update for my BIOS with Windows 7. To the person who said I will be back in a few months suggesting on a better build, what would you recommend I do instead? I am just worried that if my PSU isnt enough that something bad will happen from switching the CPUs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2011 1:03:22 PM

Cored17 said:
To the person who said I will be back in a few months suggesting on a better build, what would you recommend I do instead? I am just worried that if my PSU isnt enough that something bad will happen from switching the CPUs.

What you should do instead depends upon whether you are ready to build a new system - or even need to. And what your budget would support if you do.
Your PSU will be fine with the CPU change - don't worry.

What? Have you now got the gotta-build-one like the rest of us. If you do and have the money, we'll all be happy point you at what fits your price range and needs.
m
l
March 27, 2011 1:08:49 PM

well budget is certainly a issue right now. I do not wish to build a new system from the ground up. I just want upgraded my current one. I am just playing online MMOs, WoW, RoM, stuff like that. So I guess we will see what happens I was just worried that my computer would get messed up then i would be out of luck. thanks everyone!
m
l
April 3, 2011 9:31:36 PM

Best answer selected by Cored17.
m
l
!