Picking up an i7 2600k, need to know which board to pick?

pcman09

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
There are just so many options. Don't plan on overclocking and I don't need SLI or CF support. Can someone recommend me the right board? Thank you in advance for any advice.

well so far you've specified only 2 choices, no oc and no multi card. i still suggest you pick up an oc-capable motherboard - a z68 mobo so that you can use oc later if you change your mind. if you don't need cf/sli you can get a micro atx motherboard. are you okay with that? most atx motherboards offer minimal cfx/sli like x16+x4.
what is your budget for the motherboard?
atx or micro atx?
how many ram slots?
how many pcie slots?
do you want built in video outputs?
do you want pcie 3.0 capability?

pcman09

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
ATX/MATX doesn't matter to me. RAM slots don't either as I don't plan on having more than 4Gbs of RAM. Built in video output will not matter as I will be picking up a 6870 or maybe a GTX 560 Ti for gaming. PCIe 3.0 I don't care about I suppose as it is still a new feature and will likely be a higher price point.

If the board does have CF/SLI capabilities it will be fine, I am not saying it can't have it. It will just go unused. I guess OC ability will be fine as I may change my mind in the future.

Thanks again.