November 2, 2010 7:33:25 PM

hello mys system specs
Amd Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz@3.4Ghz
MSI 880GMA-E41
Kingston 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1Gb
Coolermaster GX550
Coolermaster Hyper Tx3

My concerns are over the fps in games like GTA IV ,Assassin Creed 2 etc.
I get like 15-30 fps in GTA IV Medium High Settings(1024*768 Resolution)

In AC2 I get 25+ fps on max settings.pretty decent gameplay.
But in both the games sometimes the game freezes for a second (like 1/10th of a second or like that).
I think My graphics card is defective since it runs too hot 51*C on idle(when doing absolutely nothing).
I am thinking of replacing the 5770 with a 5830(or can i use a GTX 460 on Amd System) and add another 2Gb ram .Or i should change the Cpu to phenom II x4 945 And keep the 5770.
Can I get more fps with that.
Need your expert advise
Thanks

More about : ram fps

November 2, 2010 7:36:26 PM

There is no point in adding more system ram as you already have 4 GB which is more than enough for gaming and for 99% of applications. Run performance monitor to see if your CPU is bottlenecking. If it is not look to another GPU but I would have thought the 5770 would do ok.
m
l
November 2, 2010 7:39:21 PM

mayanksinghsolanki said:
hello mys system specs
Amd Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz@3.4Ghz
MSI 880GMA-E41
Kingston 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1Gb
Coolermaster GX550
Coolermaster Hyper Tx3

My concerns are over the fps in games like GTA IV ,Assassin Creed 2 etc.
I get like 15-30 fps in GTA IV Medium High Settings(1024*768 Resolution)

In AC2 I get 25+ fps on max settings.pretty decent gameplay.
But in both the games sometimes the game freezes for a second (like 1/10th of a second or like that).
I think My graphics card is defective since it runs too hot 51*C on idle(when doing absolutely nothing).
I am thinking of replacing the 5770 with a 5830(or can i use a GTX 460 on Amd System) and add another 2Gb ram .Or i should change the Cpu to phenom II x4 945 And keep the 5770.
Can I get more fps with that.
Need your expert advise
Thanks

Try and sell your hd5770 and get a hd6850 ,that is of course after you try everything else
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2010 7:43:55 PM

I live in New Delhi,India and the 6850 have not yet arrived .i can exchange my 5770 for a 5830 (as i replaced 5750 with 5770) but the price of 6850 will break my bank.it will cost me at least 10,000(INR) more
m
l
November 2, 2010 7:47:09 PM

Wamphryi said:
There is no point in adding more system ram as you already have 4 GB which is more than enough for gaming and for 99% of applications. Run performance monitor to see if your CPU is bottlenecking. If it is not look to another GPU but I would have thought the 5770 would do ok.

What is meant by a Performance monitor? I haven't changed my monitor for a long time .it is the old CRT monitor with max 1024*768 resolution and 60Hz refresh rate
m
l
November 2, 2010 7:54:25 PM

dont upgrade from a 5770 o a 5830 not a big jump in performance and a waste of money. you either want to upgradt to the 6850, 5850, or 6870, i have almost the same exact setup except with different manufaturers and i get great FPS throughout all my games at 1440x900. dont test your computer on GTA IV it was a horrible port, AC2 is a good test. take the 5830 out of the equation.
m
l
November 2, 2010 8:08:25 PM

compfreak93 said:
dont upgrade from a 5770 o a 5830 not a big jump in performance and a waste of money. you either want to upgradt to the 6850, 5850, or 6870, i have almost the same exact setup except with different manufaturers and i get great FPS throughout all my games at 1440x900. dont test your computer on GTA IV it was a horrible port, AC2 is a good test. take the 5830 out of the equation.

What the current 5770 temperatures?Should i replace it ?
Is MSI 5770 Hawk better?
m
l
November 2, 2010 8:28:48 PM

no matter what you do don't get a 5830, try and tweak your current configuration and run some benchmarks before you do anything
m
l
November 2, 2010 11:03:32 PM

you have your settings way to high for GTA 4 or theres somthing wrong
this is my settings

View Distance 22
Detail Distance 10
Vehicle Density 35
shadows Densiy 0
textures Medium
texture filture highest
shadows set to high
water High
reflections medium
1280 x800

it plays decent with high FPS all the time shutters a little but not much
amd athlon x4 620 OC 3.25ghz
6GB of ram
ATI 4770 (upgrading to a 6850)
asus m4a785-m

try updating you board
maybe you have the card in the wrong slot and its running at X4 instead of X16

m
l
November 3, 2010 9:44:53 AM

Uhh you might need a new moniter the lower the resolution you use the more the CPU works instead of the graphics card, so i suggest a new moniter nothing crazy can someone else comfirm this?
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:02:32 AM

Why are you guys suggesting a GPU upgrade? The OP has a HD5770 and a monitor res of 1024 x768 lol

@OP GTA IV is horribly coded (Console Port) and uses wayy more resorces than it should, Your CPU is the limiting factor here.
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:26:33 AM

mayanksinghsolanki said:
I live in New Delhi,India and the 6850 have not yet arrived .i can exchange my 5770 for a 5830 (as i replaced 5750 with 5770) but the price of 6850 will break my bank.it will cost me at least 10,000(INR) more

Check with SMC International. They may have some. It already has come to India. I thill be something close to 12000 INR now as its brand new. But the HD5770 is itself 8500 INR.

http://techshop.in/store/sapphire-radeon-hd6850-1118000...

Expect street prices much lower than this. techshop.in is way too overpriced.

But i do agree with omgitzfatal, you dont need a new GPU. HD5770 is overkill at your resolution. Would suggest a better monitor first. Get a good LED 22 inch. Then think about the GPU sometime later.
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:56:01 AM

You will problably benefit the most from either a new monitor with a higher resolution or a new CPU as your GPU is bound at the lower resolution.
m
l
November 3, 2010 3:46:45 PM

The main issue is the game was poorly converted.
Go here: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,669595/GTA-4-PC-CPU-...
No one was getting outstanding fps'.

The 5770 is MORE than good enough - especially running at 1024x768- I dont know what these guys are telling you. If you buy a higher end card you will have the same fps. If you want to replace your entire system you might get 5 more fps.

My suggestion is everything is fine with your system, turn down the quality settings and wait for the next new game.
m
l
November 3, 2010 4:06:46 PM

Mithness said:
Uhh you might need a new moniter the lower the resolution you use the more the CPU works instead of the graphics card, so i suggest a new moniter nothing crazy can someone else comfirm this?

Are you actually suggesting that a higher resolution will improve performance because it stresses the GPU more?

This is flawed logic if so. Just because higher resolutions stress the GPU more, does not mean that it requires less CPU power.
m
l
November 3, 2010 4:12:22 PM

deweycd said:
You will problably benefit the most from either a new monitor with a higher resolution or a new CPU as your GPU is bound at the lower resolution.

Someone really needs to post a sticky about what bottlenecking means. There are a few people that completely misunderstand the concept.

Just because the CPU is the bottleneck at lower resolutions, does not mean that at higher resolutions you need less CPU power. It just happens that at higher resolutions, the GPU also needs to be more powerful. If you go to a resolution that the GPU becomes bottleneck by the same system, the game will be even slower than before, as now the CPU and the GPU aren't powerful enough.
m
l
November 3, 2010 8:38:49 PM

@bystander well the reason i said that is for CPU benchmarks with games they play the games at lower resolution's so the CPU works more, and i doubt his GFX card is getting a work out with that low of a Res, i just though that a higher Res would maybe help his fps, by yes stressing his GPU more and not as much the CPU sorry is my logic was wrong
m
l
November 3, 2010 9:24:51 PM

Mithness said:
@bystander well the reason i said that is for CPU benchmarks with games they play the games at lower resolution's so the CPU works more, and i doubt his GFX card is getting a work out with that low of a Res, i just though that a higher Res would maybe help his fps, by yes stressing his GPU more and not as much the CPU sorry is my logic was wrong

Wow...

Last try, please attempt to follow.

A bottleneck in your system is the process which is holding back the rest of the system. In this case it may be the CPU.

What this means, is no matter how much power you have in the rest of your system, the CPU can only do it's tasks at X speed.

Even if you make the GPU have to work harder by increasing it's resolution, the CPU is still only able to do it's tasks at X speed.

The GPU having to work harder cannot, and will not make the CPU perform faster than it already is performing.

If you make the GPU the bottleneck, that means that it is now weaker than the CPU, and now it's holding back the CPU, which was already not performing fast enough. Now you just slowed the system even more.
m
l
November 3, 2010 9:36:12 PM

I know what a freaking bottleneck is i though tho with higher Resolutions it takes less stress off the CPU, i know its not gonna make the goddamn CPU quicker. sorry that i was wrong, and i was explaining my thinking, i didnt say a thing about the processor getting quicker i said that it wouldnt use the CPU as much, but whatever
m
l
November 3, 2010 9:40:49 PM

If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, then you cannot add more RAM. It will not recognize more than 4GB.
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:24:19 PM

Mithness said:
I know what a freaking bottleneck is i though tho with higher Resolutions it takes less stress off the CPU, i know its not gonna make the goddamn CPU quicker. sorry that i was wrong, and i was explaining my thinking, i didnt say a thing about the processor getting quicker i said that it wouldnt use the CPU as much, but whatever

I didn't mean to piss you off. If your assumption was correct, it wouldn't be a bottleneck, which is why I didn't think you knew what it meant.
m
l
November 3, 2010 10:53:11 PM

@op
run 3dmark06 or vantage to see if the pc is working properly and post the detailed scores, though it sounds there is something not quite right... The system seems good enough and rather well balanced, the monitor resolution is a bit small but it won't have negative effect on the performance.

and 51C idle isn't that high really, whats the temp under load? Download GPU-Z, sensors tab will show core temps (min/max as well, just click on the reading it'll switch between the different values)
m
l
November 3, 2010 11:12:39 PM

@bystander, well sorry i do get pissed a little easy when ppl think ima retard i will admit im not a genious with computers lol so its good to learn, and also if the CPU was overheating could that be a cuase since i know if a GPU overheats it affects FPS and both of those games are both very CPU intensive (open world)
m
l
November 4, 2010 6:33:50 AM

I would say monitor needs a change because the monitor being used by the OP is outdated. Its more to do with providing the OP with a better upgrade path rather than being on the GTA IV frame rate issue. Which i think most of the people here have already told him about.
m
l
November 5, 2010 6:22:24 PM

Kari said:
@op
run 3dmark06 or vantage to see if the pc is working properly and post the detailed scores, though it sounds there is something not quite right... The system seems good enough and rather well balanced, the monitor resolution is a bit small but it won't have negative effect on the performance.

and 51C idle isn't that high really, whats the temp under load? Download GPU-Z, sensors tab will show core temps (min/max as well, just click on the reading it'll switch between the different values)

3dmark06 score
Cpu stock Gpu Stock = 14302
Cpu 3.5 Ghz Gpu Stock =16375
Cpu 3.5 Ghz And Gpu OC a bit =16797
One Thing i didnt mention i had installed Windows Xp sp3 on A old 80GB western digital hard disk which i got from my old computer and got one new WD 500Gb Hard Disk for Storage and Installation Purposes . The Old Hard Disk is Not in good condition as several times i had got CRC error on some downloaded movies.
m
l
November 5, 2010 6:28:22 PM

I was Thinking of getting a new Cpu Amd Phenom II x4 955 BE but i read article on tomshardware about the difference in performance with the 6Mb of L3 cache
After Reading it i thought that my Cpu is Fine.
BTW when building this Systerm i was on a budget and thought i would OC the CPU but Should get a decent GPU .
m
l
November 5, 2010 9:47:10 PM

adding more ram is the only option i got if not to replace the graphic card .Does this has a difference if i use Windows 7 64 bit and Overclock the cpu to 3.6Ghz?
m
l
November 6, 2010 5:06:49 AM

if you're editing videos or doing 3d design the extra RAM will make a difference, but it will not increase you fps at all in games.

Just forget about that crap gtaiv already, your system isn't underperforming as the 3dmark score is pretty much what it should.

A higher resolution monitor would help though
m
l
November 6, 2010 1:30:14 PM

your 3dmark scores seem to be just fine, and extra ram wouldn't really do anything since you already have 4 gigs. Keep the cpu 3.5GHz if it doesn't overheat or anything and is stable.
m
l
Anonymous
November 6, 2010 1:49:47 PM

Put your HD5770 at 950Mhz 1350Mhz GDDR5 you will get more that 147FPS in 1024x768 the most games they are in 32Bits the 32bits applications don't use more than 4Gbytes ram.

I have 8Gbytes ram dosen't help in games.
m
l
November 6, 2010 3:28:53 PM

Well, apart from what have been suggested already, i would greatly advise on getting the latest patch to gta4, it WILL definitely increase your performance, btw check all your drivers, and also 51 c for an idle 5770 is quite high-
m
l
November 6, 2010 3:54:44 PM

Thanks you all who have posted the replies.In the meantime I have searched the internet about the temperature problem that i was facing and noticed that it is quite high and it is probably because of the defective fan since even i put the fan to 100% the temp doesn't go below 46 degree C.So i am replacing the graphic card to get GPU with stable temp.And probably i would change my monitor to a 20" LED monitor from Dell.Maybe then everything will be fine.Thanks for your time.
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:06:32 PM

it's probably not a heat problem from your card, what are your ambient temperatures?
m
l
November 6, 2010 4:16:49 PM

pretty cool about 20-25 degree C and CPU temp is 25 degree C on idle at 3.5 Ghz and 38 Degree C under load
m
l
Anonymous
November 6, 2010 5:24:12 PM

Have you run furmark 1.8 and prime95 torture FFT minimal length 4096Mbytes together? i'm getting 60 c after the overclock and is a reall problem.
m
l
November 6, 2010 6:05:04 PM

mayanksinghsolanki said:
Thanks you all who have posted the replies.In the meantime I have searched the internet about the temperature problem that i was facing and noticed that it is quite high and it is probably because of the defective fan since even i put the fan to 100% the temp doesn't go below 46 degree C.So i am replacing the graphic card to get GPU with stable temp.And probably i would change my monitor to a 20" LED monitor from Dell.Maybe then everything will be fine.Thanks for your time.

46-51 C isn't very high, although higher than most 5770's would go.

The problem of a high idle temp is not necessarly a problem with the card or ambient temps. Poor air flow in the case may also cause a problem. The 5770's dump air into the case and if that air doesn't exhaust well, no amount of fan speed will lower the temps, because you are just blowing hot air back at the card.
m
l
Anonymous
November 6, 2010 6:54:20 PM

Yes but if is running in stock speed the HD5770 is at 157Mhz and the GDDR5 only in 300hz its 0 watts and the temperature is really high this is no logical for idle mode if he put it in 851Mhz then it goes to 400Mhz and the memory clock goes where he put it. What does he see in the overdrive?
m
l
November 6, 2010 8:44:18 PM

Quote:
Yes but if is running in stock speed the HD5770 is at 157Mhz and the GDDR5 only in 300hz its 0 watts and the temperature is really high this is no logical for idle mode if he put it in 851Mhz then it goes to 400Mhz and the memory clock goes where he put it. What does he see in the overdrive?

So what if it's running at low clocks. If the case it's in is not exhausting hot air, it will be hotter as a result of the case's temperature. It's also not 0 watts. Low usage does not mean no usage.

There are some of these prebuilt boxes that have 0 case fans and poor ventilation, and you will get higher temps as a result. Until he let's us know what his case is like, that is definately a suspect. Especially considering it didn't drop much with 100% fan speed, yet it did drop (which let's us know the fan did increase in speed).
m
l
Anonymous
November 7, 2010 1:37:25 PM

He gave low tempratures for his CPU under load a 40nm GPU 51C idle....
m
l
November 7, 2010 4:22:02 PM

Currently the temp of the GPU is 50 degree C and CPU temp is 26 degree C.
My Case is Coolermaster Elite 310 with only one fan .I didn't add second or third fan because over time a layer of dust will be coated all over the components which is not good for the Components .But still the system temperature is around 34 degree C on idle .
m
l
November 7, 2010 4:42:09 PM

Earlier I had an 5750 from MSI which ran at 40degree C on IDLE
m
l
Anonymous
November 8, 2010 8:35:02 PM

You can see a really hard test of the chip and the system in here i used Prime95 64bits 4096 minimal FFT and 4Gbytes memory ussage and furmark 1.8 in extrem stability 20 minutes:

http://admins.bnb.gr/~giatrakis/Prime-Turture-4Gbytes-F...

I manage to keep this chip under the 73 C no matter what by openning 2 halls in my case and put 2 120x120 NF-P12 Noctua fans were the card is.

This idle results after the test:
http://admins.bnb.gr//~giatrakis/idle.jpg
37 C is nice after the oveclock.

Something is rong in your airflow inside the box or your card.
m
l
November 16, 2010 5:09:07 PM

So finally got the Graphic card replaced .I am not complaining but Temp are almost same .But one problem is still there, when cpu is oc to 3.5 ghz a strange error is coming on windows xp.The game stops and error comes.I made a video with my mobile(2 MP camera) but it is not that clear but u can understand what's happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTz7_TKBs0
When running everything on stock the error is gone but the 3dmark06 score drops to 14245 from 16350.What could be causing this error as the Graphic Card is now replaced .
Could this be a driver issue.Windows XP Updated.CCC 10.10.BIOS updated.
m
l
November 16, 2010 5:36:22 PM

cpu throttling down, possible. What are the temps ?
m
l
November 16, 2010 5:39:05 PM

I seen the vid, well, it seems a driver issue, try reinstalling, remove first, run cc cleaner, then re install, latest driver
m
l
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 6:23:55 PM

You must increase the voltage to your cpu also not only the fsb and test the stability with prime95 to see if you get any errors to any of your cores.

You need to badly to increase the air flow to your system. Me and some kids in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

We trying our best the op had 105 C. I will post my new results tomorrow, same time because now (night) the temperature is low.
m
l
November 16, 2010 7:18:51 PM

I dont have a correct CPU temp monitoring tool .But CPU ID HW monitor shows AVG 25 Degree C and load 38-39 C.But i think that These temp are at least 10 Degree C less than the Actual temp .
I would add another fan but over the time dust would be collected all over the parts which is not good .Correct me if i am wrong ,the front fan blows the air in, side fans blows the air in (option for only one side fan but i dont think it is good for The Graphic card as the fan would be directly over the GC) and the rear fan blows the air out.
I have the option of adding a total of 2 case fans.
About the driver issue(the video above) it comes in windows xp , in windows 7 (recently installed) the game freezes suddenly and computer restarts (blue screen error .i think) comes.

I read increasing the voltage could damage the CPU if not then how to increase voltage as there is no option in bios to increase voltage(But it could be done through Control Center ).

About prime 95 is it free on paid .And how to run it to test the Cpu .I would be very thankful if someone helps.Thank you very much.
m
l
Anonymous
November 16, 2010 7:27:47 PM

I had a front and a rear fun but i also had 6 satta ii disks in raid 0 blocking the way for the airflow and allot of cables Thermaltake PSU with cable management helped a litle so I forced to open 2 halls by the side of the box and put 2 120x120 NF-P12 noctua hitting the card add 2 extra fans if you have the option as fast as you can.

It may damaged yes but is impossible to get stable if you don't do it i hope you find an artice in Athlon II X4 overcloking somewhere else you have to increse the voltage step by step untill you get stable not above 1.45 no matter what i have Q6600 Quad OCed to 3.30 Ghz but i can't give you my voltages you have diffrent chip but i got stable at 1.41650 you may get stable arround there Prime95 testing needed. But if your motherboard doesn’t have options to increase the voltages you can't do it.

PS: you can get free prime95 at http://mersenne.org/
m
l
November 17, 2010 3:14:38 AM

If you can'y increase the voltage, better decrease the oc, !
Btw, remove the oc, and see if the problem persists, if not, oc till ist stable-
m
l
!