Compaq downloads and my battery

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 21, 2005 8:37:10 AM

I have a compaq armada m700 running xp home. My battery has been good
for about
50 minutes for a long time now. I downloaded compaq power management
to recalibrate the battery. When I click the calibrate button the
laptop shuts down abruptly. Now it will only boot on AC and I have to
remove then replace the battery before it boots on AC. I also
downloaded the compaq battery test utility. When I click the test
button the app just closes. WTF is it with these
downloads. My battery or laptop is fried now. Can someone please
respond with
some explanations Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 10:42:53 AM

Ron wrote:
> I have a compaq armada m700 running xp home. My battery has been good
> for about
> 50 minutes for a long time now. I downloaded compaq power management
> to recalibrate the battery. When I click the calibrate button the
> laptop shuts down abruptly. Now it will only boot on AC and I have to
> remove then replace the battery before it boots on AC. I also
> downloaded the compaq battery test utility. When I click the test
> button the app just closes. WTF is it with these
> downloads. My battery or laptop is fried now. Can someone please
> respond with
> some explanations Thanks.

From Add/Remove Programs, remove the Compaq power management
application. Assuming the OS is XP, from a command prompt run sfc
/scannow to restore corrupt or missing system files. This requires that
the folder i386 is resident on the HD, usually in the Windows folder, or
the OS installation disk. Check Compaq support for any *required* BIOS
update. Boot to BIOS setup and verify that there are no conflicting
power management settings; perhaps restore the default settings for one
boot. If sfc completes, then reinstall the original power management
application. Some laptops have proprietary battery settings that can
redetect the current battery that might be helpful. This might be in
the power management settings or a separate battery control panel (if it
exists).

Also post to comp.sys.pc-clone.compaq where there are a several Compaq
laptop experts.

February 22, 2005 8:08:41 AM

Yes thanks

!