Sign in with
Your question

Internet Speed Fluctuates Up and Down

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 3:20:46 AM

Hello. I'm having trouble with my internet speed dropping and becoming unusable. Let me explain my situation.
We live were they don't offer DSL or Cable. We had satellite for years but have recently switched to a new start up company that offers wireless internet through radios. The best example of this I know is Clear. ]http://www.clear.com/callnow/index/BR?s_kwcid=TC|9630|clear||S||6076672359] We do not have Clear. But it is the same idea.

The Basic setup is this. The source of our connection comes from a T1 line which is at my neighbors house. The T1 goes into a Router. From there it feeds my neighbors house and a radio on his roof. This radio transmits to a radio on our Roof. The radios use omni-directional antenna. (I think? They are just normal looking antenna. Not pointed in a direction.)
The distance between our houses is around 200-300 yards.

Everything was good at first and our speeds were around 1.4 Download and 1.4 Upload with 20-40 ping. But several things happened. We got new antennas to try and boost the range to reach other clients. These antenna stopped working(possibly fried by upping the amps to much). We might of got new antennas again. Not sure. But after about a week of things changing our internet was back up. But it would suddenly have strange fluctuations in speed. Always dropping. It got to the point were the highest speed it achieved was about half of what used to be normal and then dropping down to nothing. It eventually stopped working. Fast forward one more week. Our internet was fixed again. Now it seems to be fairly stable until it's under any kind of load lasting more than 2-4 minutes. Then it craps out again. It's hard to simulate these conditions accepts in voice chats and when playing games. My brothers play CoD on XBox Live. For them it goes from 4 bars to 1 bar. Playable to very laggy. I play SC2. And it goes from playable to having lag spikes and quickly just dropping me. After exiting these games the speed returns to normal.

As I'm putting this thread together I'm having problems. Sometimes webpages won't load. But a few seconds latter they will load up fine. It may be happening when under normal load again as well.

Here is a test when everything seems fine.

By nodestar at 2010-09-09" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Here is a test when things are kinda iffy but not to bad for browsing. Something to note is no matter how many times I run the test from this site it never says there is any packet loss.

Here are some Wireshark Screens taken when playing SC2. I don't have the knowledge to understand what they mean.

Just doing some random pinging while the connection seems normal.

Any help would be great. It's frustrating because the problem isn't always occurring. And I can't always recreate the situations were it does happen. The more I look into it the more random it seems to be.

If you need more information I will provide anything I can. I tried to make the post as thorough as possible but I'm sure I left allot out.

September 10, 2010 6:21:10 AM

[#0005ff]One very long question followed by a very short one. :D  How many other rooves have aerials that can"see" your neighbour's router?[/#000ff]
m
l
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 11:36:44 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]One very long question followed by a very short one. :D  How many other rooves have aerials that can"see" your neighbour's router?[/#000ff]

We were the only two(me and my neighbors) before they upgraded our Radios. Now I know there is at least one other house across the lake. There could be more. I would have to ask.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2010 4:36:32 PM

Quote:
We were the only two(me and my neighbors) before they upgraded our Radios. Now I know there is at least one other house across the lake. There could be more. I would have to ask.

You could be sharing bandwidth with any number of people - maybe even unauthorised ones - and it would certainly account for the anomalies. Run some speedtests at http://www.speedtest.net say every two hours over the course of a day and evening - see when the peaks and troughs are and plan your own surfing accordingly.

m
l
Anonymous
September 10, 2010 5:40:08 PM

Saga Lout said:
You could be sharing bandwidth with any number of people - maybe even unauthorised ones - and it would certainly account for the anomalies. Run some speedtests at http://www.speedtest.net say every two hours over the course of a day and evening - see when the peaks and troughs are and plan your own surfing accordingly.

So you don't think it's an issue with settings or something being wrong?

The internet started going down again. Could be unrelated to my fluctuation problems. But it went down at 12am last night. Was back up in the morning and went down again at 11:30 am. Called my provider and no word so far.

Could this be caused by to much traffic?
To clarify what I mean by down. It's not really slow. It's completely down. My router can't find any connection. I'm currently using a Verizon Wireless connection.
m
l
!