K9n6pgm2-v to k9n6pgm2-v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
msi k9n6pgm2-v and msi k9n6pgm2-v2 are almost same (same socket,design,slots,chipset)
so
1). what will happen if i flash k9n6pgm2-v with a bios designed for k9n6pgm2-v2 (both have ami bios of 1 mb but different version), can it harm cpu or any other components, why they have different bios version but both are ms7309.

2). k9n6pgm2-v can support only upto phenom2 x4 910e (65w) and phenom2 x3 740 (95w) , but in manual it should support upto only 65 w am3 cpu, so why is=t can support 740, and why it can not support other ph2 x4 9xx (95w) cpu.

3). both board have am2+ butk9n6pgm2-v2 can support almost all ph2 , ph2 x6 and ph2 x4 of 140w, but k9n6pgm2-v have very limited support.

4). is it true that k9n6pgm2-v2 is the revised version of k9n6pgm2-v.

Solution
Hi True,

I'd be very careful about using the V2 BIOS on the V board. Although the utilized chipset is apparently identical, this is by far not sure (actually even rather very unlikely) for the additional components like logic gates, monitoring chips, onboard sound chip and such which are of course also programmed/controlled by the BIOS. Of course, if the board is to be written off anyway for an uograde to come, you can try.

But I'd think the chances of a mess-up resulting in an unbootable if not blown board are 85%+

I've just compared the specs for the two boards on MSI's website... Keeping my warning valid and even raises the percentage of failure to 90%+

If you intend to keeo the board as a spare or give it to somebody to use it...

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi True,

I'd be very careful about using the V2 BIOS on the V board. Although the utilized chipset is apparently identical, this is by far not sure (actually even rather very unlikely) for the additional components like logic gates, monitoring chips, onboard sound chip and such which are of course also programmed/controlled by the BIOS. Of course, if the board is to be written off anyway for an uograde to come, you can try.

But I'd think the chances of a mess-up resulting in an unbootable if not blown board are 85%+

I've just compared the specs for the two boards on MSI's website... Keeping my warning valid and even raises the percentage of failure to 90%+

If you intend to keeo the board as a spare or give it to somebody to use it, do not try to flash it with the V2 BIOS.

Solution

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
ok here i have something to share
i am using hd6770 which is not in the vga support list,
the memory modules i am using are not in the supported list of memory modules

msi is not providing any support foq this board because it is a outdated one and it seems to me a market strategy in which they are throwing away the old and making room for new so they can make some extra dollers

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi truegenius,

sorry for not replying much earlier... I did not get any notification of your additional posts after my reply... Well, except for the one saying you selected my answer to be the best. Thanks for that !

About your other questions:

Fire hazard - very unlikely. There are certain strict safety rules for consumer electronics (which include PCs) to prevent such catastrophic results.

Harming other parts - Yes, *probably*, and even the CPU, since the relatively sophisticated voltage regulators respectively their control circuits are "slaves" to the BIOS (otherwise you won't be able to tune the voltages through your BIOS settings). If the two different boards used different control chips for that task, there'd be a good chance to blow your CPU by the regulators doing the wrong thing.

Hope this helps for clarification.

Cheers!

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
much appretiated that

and no notification seems a problem in tomshardware site because i too have the same no notification problem niether in email nor in right hand side panel
here is a little discusion on this no notification problem
www.tomshardware.com/forum/34038-12-unable-recieve-email-notification-tomshardware#t496976

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Hi again. Thanks for the hint/link.
See you on Tom's!
Cheers! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS