Acer Travelmate 800 Display issues

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 10:38:21 AM

Hi folks

I realise this isn't technically a laptop-specific issue and
more of a general software problem, but I have only experienced the
problem on my Acer Travelmate 800 and it has been there since I got it
(so I suspect other people who have bought this laptop may have the
same problem)

The problem is that text and/or graphics are not always displayed
correctly. For Example if I load AdAware 6, some of the text doesn't
appear in the correct place (in front of the graphic behind it, the
text is misplaced slightly) and similarly with other software the text
is misplaced or bits of it are missing, or in some cases important
things like checkboxes that should appear, are not there at all.

The most recent example I've seen was using a piece of software called
MASAI editor, where on all other PCs it works fine, on my laptop, when
presented with three choices (all with a radio button to choose the one
you want) they appear on top of each other! so you can't actually
choose an option.

This is most infuriating, anyone have any ideas what could cause this.

I have looked in Display properties and tried various resolutions as
well as changing font sizes etc in the Appearance properties but
haven't found a solution yet.

Kind Regards
Jon
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 21, 2005 8:44:27 PM

<hilton.jon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks
>
> I realise this isn't technically a laptop-specific issue and
> more of a general software problem, but I have only experienced the
> problem on my Acer Travelmate 800 and it has been there since I got it
> (so I suspect other people who have bought this laptop may have the
> same problem)
>
> The problem is that text and/or graphics are not always displayed
> correctly. For Example if I load AdAware 6, some of the text doesn't
> appear in the correct place (in front of the graphic behind it, the
> text is misplaced slightly) and similarly with other software the text
> is misplaced or bits of it are missing, or in some cases important
> things like checkboxes that should appear, are not there at all.
>
> The most recent example I've seen was using a piece of software called
> MASAI editor, where on all other PCs it works fine, on my laptop, when
> presented with three choices (all with a radio button to choose the one
> you want) they appear on top of each other! so you can't actually
> choose an option.
>
> This is most infuriating, anyone have any ideas what could cause this.
>
> I have looked in Display properties and tried various resolutions as
> well as changing font sizes etc in the Appearance properties but
> haven't found a solution yet.
>
> Kind Regards
> Jon

Right click on the desktop, Properties,Appearance, Settings, Advanced
button, General Tab, DPI Setting.

Try changing it.

--
John Blessing

businesses
for your meeting/class over the web.
February 22, 2005 4:18:23 AM

Many thanks for this

It worked perfectly

However, I think I now understand why they've done it this way in the
first place! At it's native resolution, altering this setting has made
everything a tiny bit too small (even for a good-sighted person such as
myself)

Ah well beggers can't be choosers! ;-)

Thanks again
Jon