Definitely long in the tooth so itching to build (or buy if logical) a new system especially for regular web/Office work, definitely video editing (fast encoding!), and likely supporting 2-3 VMs occasionally.
Left out that I also want to do file sharing across multiple computers and media devices including my PS3.
1. Building a mega system that can do everything (I probably won't be doing much gaming though)
2. Building a mega system that can do most things but then setting my old PC up as a file/media server box with a hard drive array connected to it (Note it does have 3Mb RAM and an eSATA card in addition to standard specs)
For the replacement PC, I was thinking something like this:
- i7 950 or higher processor (Intel to get the hyperthreading for encoding)
- SSD drive (to get the speed for encoding/editing)
- 8GB of ram (should be plenty to also run a VM or two)
- 1GB Video Card (ATI or nVidia but leaning towards nVidia
- 500W Xfinity PSU (since I already have one sitting new in a box from a couple years ago)
- Other standard stuff like a multi-reader/burner drive, card reader, etc.