Sign in with
Your question

Dead CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2011 2:35:16 PM

I originally posted this under motherboards catagory, but i'm looking for more input. 2 weeks ago i built my computer with no problems at all. a couple days ago, it locked up. when i tried to reboot it, my monitor, keyboard, and mouse wouldn't work. upon opening the case, i noticed my dram and cpu red leds were lit up on my sabertooth X58. I tried clearing the cmos, using only 1 stick of ram, and resetting my cpu. Nothing has changed. Any suggestions on what i should try? My origianal guess is the cpu died, but i'm not sure that that would cause everything else not to work.

More about : dead cpu

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 10:50:11 PM

It is doubtful that the CPU is bad, they are the most reliable component in the computer. Saying that they can be destroyed if incorrectly mounted with the heat-sink or no heat-sink compound applied, but you would have seen very high temperatures and would have experienced freezes after using it for a while.
The most unreliable component (apart from the computer builder) is the power supply I suggest that you start there.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 27, 2011 10:52:54 PM

Power supply?

What does the manual say about the red led's?
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 27, 2011 11:08:44 PM

Power supply is first to go out.
Ram / Mobo components second.
Harddrives generally third.

Cpu will rarely ever go out. Ever. I still have a 450 mghz celeron that boots. My guess its either a PSU or Ram problem.
m
l
March 28, 2011 5:05:15 AM

the manual isn't very helpful about the leds except for the obvious. here it is, verbatim;

"POST state LEDs check key components (CPU, DRAM, VGA card, and HDD) in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an error is found, the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem is solved."

how would i go about testing my PSU?
m
l
March 28, 2011 5:59:41 AM

UPDATE: I tested my PSU according to jonnyguru.com and i get acceptable +3.3, +5, and +12 voltages
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 28, 2011 6:53:16 AM

even though they do say that cpu's very rarely fail, there is always a possibility it will fail..So dont rule this option out.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 1:44:39 PM

The last thing I would be thinking is the cpu.
m
l
March 28, 2011 3:02:21 PM

UPDATE: this morning i tried the purple, gray, and blue power supply wires. everything there looks good too. I think i've tried all of your suggestions so far. Thanks for all the input. my mobo and CPU are still under the 30 day warranty, so i'm going to try to RMA them and see what happens. i would RMA the ram too, but for whatever stupid reason, i threw away that packaging... Thanks again, everyone
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 3:31:26 PM

I'm betting memory or psu. But do what you like.

You can rma the memory to the manufacturer without packaging, it has a lifetime warranty.
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:26:41 PM

with all the voltages checking out alright, i thought i had eliminated the PSU. Is there anything else i should check on it? thanks for the information about the memory, i'll try that next if this doesn't work.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 4:46:25 PM

No sorry I don't even know how to use a Multi-Meter so....can't help ya there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2011 5:11:21 PM

The best bet is to try a known good PSU, even though the =3.3, +5 and +12 V checked ok with the Multimeter. You could check the currents to the 3 listed voltages, BUT that is very diff to do as the meter leads would have to go in series or use a current probe, nie onto imposible without breaking out wires.

Next you could try replacing one stick of Ram (not using your orignal ram). Also disconnect all HDDs/DVD drives to see if you can boot to bios. This then leaves the CPU, MB, GPU.

One comment on CPU/MB. If you did not use good ESD precautions you may have damaged the CPU/MB - that is created what is called a "Walking Wounded" component. This is much more prevalent durning the winter monthes when Relative humidity is often 30% or less.
See: http://www.incompliancemag.com/index.php?option=com_con...

Need to get the chart on relationship to RH, But the ability to generate a static charge is greatly increased at RH < 30%
m
l
!