building a network server for cybercafe!

jak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
Please Help out an absolute newbie? Moving from a finance/administration career into IT (more than just building PC’s as a hobby/stress reliever) Looking to set up a cybercafe [later an ISP] in a border town in a 3rd world country. Need help on the networking side [what components are needed to wire 12 machines together as well as the adsvisability of using a leased line and possibly VSAT…don’t laugh! Mr. Newbie’s colors are showing here!. Possibly be able to find financing to set up as an ISP in a region where the closest one is a long way off – long distance calls are Xpensive here? Anybody?

G

Depending on where you put this thing a Satellite hookup is not going to be cheap. Just this month I got a quote of $4800 US/month for 256kbits of dedicated bandwidth to Guyana (South America). The provider serves either straight ethernet or a partial E1 (similar to a partial T1) through a Verestar satellite uplink.

It'll be hella cheaper if you can hookup to physical land line, which country are you thinking of putting this in?

jak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
Uganda. The town in question is Busia. Admittedly my knowledge of leased lines is rather limited. Can You fill me in on the telephony side?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Uganda, huh? I lived there for two years. Don't remember where Busia is, though. I was in Kampala and then out on the shore of Lake Victoria while I was there.

Anyway, your best bet would be to contact <A HREF="http://www.imul.com" target="_new">Infocom</A> and work out a deal of some sort. If that doesn't work, I don't know. A sattelite link would be expensive over there.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

jak

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
Sorry 'bout the delay..election fever and had a vested interest! Busia is 196 kms East of Kampala and would mean connecting to Infocom via trunk calls which are pretty pricey here. You were in entebbe huh? still very beautiful. Question, what about buying mailstations fro Cidco and fitting them with modems that can use cellular bands is that possible? Am a little off the reservation here but what I don't know I'd sooner admit! Ideas anyone?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Modems over cell lines? That would be very expensive. Might be cheaper to do sattelite and rent service to local users (I don't know what the population is).

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?