Sign in with
Your question

Which bus does Hauppage HVR-1500 Expresscard use?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2010 4:50:45 AM

I am building a HTPC and have an HP expresscard tv tuner, which is essentially a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1500. I figured
I may as well use it with the HTPC if I can, but I can not seem to find any specific info on whether this Expresscard runs off
the USB or Pci-x bus, as based on the Expresscard standard, a device can be designed to use one or (unless I am mistaken) both. Expresscard adapters which plug into USB slots are much less expensive than adapters to interface with the Pci-x bus,
so I wanted to figure out which bus this tv tuner runs on before wasting money on an adapter which won't work.
November 3, 2010 4:05:38 PM

It appears to be an expresscard interface, which is for laptops. I suppose you could figure out a way to install an expresscard interface into your HTPC but why bother?

Just pick up a tuner card, they aren't that expensive. I've seen some USB tuners that do pretty good for under $50, but it depends on what features you'd like.
m
l
November 5, 2010 4:46:35 AM

buzznut said:
It appears to be an expresscard interface, which is for laptops. I suppose you could figure out a way to install an expresscard interface into your HTPC but why bother?

Just pick up a tuner card, they aren't that expensive. I've seen some USB tuners that do pretty good for under $50, but it depends on what features you'd like.

Thanks for the reply.

There are actually fairly cheap Expresscard to USB adapters, but more expensive Expresscard to Pci-x
ones. Based on the way the manufacturer built the card it can use the USB or Pci-x bus for data
routing, but I can't find info on which bus Hauppage made this card use. Your suggestion is a
good one, but if this card uses the USB bus, the adapters are actually cheap enough that I would rather
get one than buy a new tuner. When I called Hauppage, the tech support guy didn't seem aware that
the ExpressCard standard provides for data routing to either bus, as I didn't know before I researched
this, so he seemed confused, and was not of much help.
m
l
!