Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital Rebel -- Sports Mode

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 24, 2005 8:10:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I got a Digital Rebel for XMAS. Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any ideas
on the cause of this?

Thanks
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 10:33:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:10:16 +0000, Danny wrote:

> I got a Digital Rebel for XMAS. Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
> Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any ideas
> on the cause of this?
>
Sports mode will set the ISO to 400 & use only the central point for
focusing. Otherwise it is just like full auto mode. It will not maintain a
high shutter speed.

As far as I could make out it is not like shutter-priority programmed mode
(sports mode) of some Canon T-series cameras where the shutter speed was
maintained at the fastest possible by using the biggest aperture of the
lens.


--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:51:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Danny" <oconnell_daniel@bah.com> wrote:

> I got a Digital Rebel for XMAS.

Congrats!

> Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.

In general, using the magic modes is _not_ a good idea. Learn the basics of
photography and decide on the ISO, shutter speed and/or aperture, various
modes yourself is a better idea.

> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
> Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any ideas
> on the cause of this?

You probably need more light or a faster lens. What lens are you using? If
you don't have a fast lens, get the 50/1.8: it's all of US$79.95 or so, and
one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes: better than any zoom. If you need
more reach, the 100/2.0 is a very good lens, although a bit more expensive.
Zooms tend to be either slow, expensive, or both.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Related resources
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:51:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Danny" <oconnell_daniel@bah.com> wrote:
>
>> I got a Digital Rebel for XMAS.
>
> Congrats!
>
>> Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
>
> In general, using the magic modes is _not_ a good idea. Learn the
> basics of photography and decide on the ISO, shutter speed and/or
> aperture, various modes yourself is a better idea.
>
>> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
>> Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any
>> ideas on the cause of this?
>
> You probably need more light or a faster lens. What lens are you
> using? If you don't have a fast lens, get the 50/1.8: it's all of
> US$79.95 or so, and one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes: better
> than any zoom. If you need more reach, the 100/2.0 is a very good
> lens, although a bit more expensive. Zooms tend to be either slow,
> expensive, or both.

Or and increased sensitivity (speed) setting.

>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:13:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
> > "Danny" <oconnell_daniel@bah.com> wrote:

> >> Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
> >
> > In general, using the magic modes is _not_ a good idea. Learn the
> > basics of photography and decide on the ISO, shutter speed and/or
> > aperture, various modes yourself is a better idea.
> >
> >> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
> >> Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any
> >> ideas on the cause of this?
> >
> > You probably need more light or a faster lens. What lens are you
> > using? If you don't have a fast lens, get the 50/1.8: it's all of
> > US$79.95 or so, and one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes: better
> > than any zoom. If you need more reach, the 100/2.0 is a very good
> > lens, although a bit more expensive. Zooms tend to be either slow,
> > expensive, or both.
>
> Or and increased sensitivity (speed) setting.

Grumble: that come under "set the ISO yourself" which I said above...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>> "Danny" <oconnell_daniel@bah.com> wrote:
>
>>>> Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
>>>
>>> In general, using the magic modes is _not_ a good idea. Learn the
>>> basics of photography and decide on the ISO, shutter speed and/or
>>> aperture, various modes yourself is a better idea.
>>>
>>>> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe
>>>> the Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second.
>>>> Any ideas on the cause of this?
>>>
>>> You probably need more light or a faster lens. What lens are you
>>> using? If you don't have a fast lens, get the 50/1.8: it's all of
>>> US$79.95 or so, and one of the sharpest lenses Canon makes: better
>>> than any zoom. If you need more reach, the 100/2.0 is a very good
>>> lens, although a bit more expensive. Zooms tend to be either slow,
>>> expensive, or both.
>>
>> Or and increased sensitivity (speed) setting.
>
> Grumble: that come under "set the ISO yourself" which I said above...
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I guess I missed your first sentence, or maybe my memory lost it before
I got to the bottom. You are correct, you covered it. I might add that you
usually do a good job of accurate complete responses.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:27:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Unfortunately Sports mode is the only way to access AI servo which certainly
helps with moving action

B

--
If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson
"Danny" <oconnell_daniel@bah.com> wrote in message
news:1106615416.273130.59070@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I got a Digital Rebel for XMAS. Have had trouble in the Sports Mode.
> Pictures of my son playing basketball come out blurry. I believe the
> Sports Mode sets too slow of shutter speed of 1/30th second. Any ideas
> on the cause of this?
>
> Thanks
>
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Vinylmixer wrote:

> Unfortunately Sports mode is the only way to access AI servo which certainly
> helps with moving action

The hacked firmware will allow you to select AI modes from all Creative
zone settings.
!