Anyone Still Run A Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevs

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I know its an old cpu. 65nm Yikes lol :p

But So far I have no problems with it. Its overclocked at 3.2 ghz and all my games mainly utilize my GPU so everything seems to run smoothly even with Crysis on Max settings.

I will eventually plan to change my CPU or by the time I get rid of it build a whole new Gaming Rig in say 2 years. I am looking foward to see amd Bulldozer and eventaully Sandy Bridge E (Enthusiast) 8 core socket 2011 CPU but My Q6600 seems to be fine for now.

Anyone else have a Q6600? How is it running for you? Do You Plan to upgrade eventually or still have life in it? :D

galeener

Distinguished
i have an e6750 dual core that still runs most games when it gets done I will probably retire it to be a media center machine in my boys room.
We have a system that is the e6600 running in the living room for that now.
So I would say with your overclock and being a quad its probably got a year or so of life for gaming still left in it.
I am also looking forward to seeing what will come out with the 2011 chipsets.

galeener

Distinguished
I'll probably wait for the IvyBridge cpus for the 2011 chipset. The production cost should be cheaper with the smaller form factor. Not really sure what games would utilize 8cores any way, but who knows what will be in the pipeline by then.
I'll have to see how well they perform with say the Z68 system boards that will be out soon also (well soon may be optimistic)

C2D/C2Q are still very viable cpus
wouldnt do a NEW build with one obviously
but with so many architecture changes in next year or so
it makes sense to hold on and wait
If you look at most games min/recommended systems
a Q6600 or decent C2D is still fine
Especially since new PC games are getting "dumbed" down because of consoles

Like all the above posters had said, that Q6600 is still running wild IMO. No need to cut it's legs.

Till the next gen of consoles is released and/or game devs put their pants on and start using DX11 for real, you won't need too much additional muscle power.

Cheers!

I run at 1600x900. The game "Optimal" sets mine to High but I put everything on Very High and the game is smooth as butter.

As for the OP, I still use a Q6600. No sense in dropping it as it still is not a bottleneck for games for me and has a bit of life in it. I plan to upgrade during Ivy Bridge though. I wants me some 22nm action. Hell on a clock per clock level it still keeps up with Phenom IIs.

As for my specs here they are:

Asus P5K-E Deluxe Wifi -AP
Intel C2Q6600 G0 stepping @ 3GHz 1.25v
Zalman CPNS 9700 Cooler
4Gigs Corsair XMS2 PC8500
2x Seagate 500GB SATA 300 in Raid 0
ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB GDDR5 OCed to 890MHz core / 1290MHz (5160Mhz effective) memory
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Extreme Gamer(has the 64MB X-RAM)
Corsair TX850W
Apevia X-Navigator Case. It has a lot of blue lights
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500 wOOt
Windows 7 Ultimate, lovin it

leon2006

Distinguished
I have 3 setups of Q6600 OC @ 3.0 GHZ. I run design simulations on it. One has a part time task of being my personal HD PVR and DVR. All have 8 GBytes of memory.
One has 4890 CF, the 2nd has 4890 single, and the third use GTX 280.

When i don't have an engineering task for it i play games.

All of the 3 are run 24x7. These machines will continue to work for me for another 4~ 5 years.

Most of the time its 100% CPU on all cores.

I do plan to add 2 Sandy Bridge base work station this year. But the 3 will remain to function as my Workstations. I plan to use Nvidia 580 as Nvidia CUDA is extremely useful for workstation type application.

leon2006

Distinguished
Yes Video card upgrade has more impact than cpu upgrade. But there is a point that certain video card generations/games/resolution will be bottleneck by Q6600.

This is a personal choice which involves a lot of money. Its also a function of the specific gaming needs of the user considering the upgrade.

Of course from time to time we can't deny our constant desider for the "Need for more speed" :)

cheers

its simple look at cou usage in game ...thats how you see if you are experience a bottleneck which is terribly overused here.

if the usage is really high you CPU is more or less choking on frames.

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

i had a hand me down 6600 but eventually it will shutdown automatically (no display)it had serve me well for 6 years
even then it worked great and then i also remove all the paste and put in Dow corning silicon grease and clean it some times from the dust.
Dust are the greatest killer of computer fan and chipset and CPU's

rayt160

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I have an i7 @4.32 as my gaming rig as i upgraded from my q6600.. the q6600 is paired with a amd 5870 which it runs just fine with.. for gaming it is still a good cpu..

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

That's a lot of computing. What do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking?

I will not upgrade my new core 2 quad for at least 2 years... as there will be no need to.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

phenoms and core2duo can last at most two years.Why not enjoy them!

mi1ez

Splendid
Still running my Q6600 @ 3.2GHz and P35 board with 4870. The GPU could do with an upgrade for some of the latest games but I never find the CPU holds me back. My main reservation about the GPU upgrade is the fact I'd be putting it in a 1st gen PCIe slot...

americanbrian

Distinguished
I also run a Q6600 and an E6600. These are great value CPU's and have yet to be made obselete by the forces of iterative awesomeness.

I reckon they are still good for about 2 years yet. I mean some people are still running P IV's and single core athlons. Its all about how you want to use a computer.

If I were heavy on encoding I would stretch up to some of the newer CPU's. But for just personal fun use, don't really need more than ~ 2-3 GHz Dual core and a half decent GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.