New system shutting down randomly

wizheero

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Hello guys, I need some help here I build a new system and its running smoothly then my PSU 500w got burned I change my PSU to 650w,the system running smoothly again. i change my os to window 7 its perfectly running. in the middle of nowhere the system shutting down, i need to turn on again to power up the system. what do you think the problem? hardware or sort of software that running in my system?

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AMD890
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
HIS ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB 128Bit GDDR5
4GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill RipJaws Dual CL9
500GB WD Caviar Blue 16MB SATA
Tornado 650w

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

We will need more info to help you.
Some things I am wondering
1. How did PSU fry? Did it just stop working or did it have a melt down?
2. How long after new PSU did you start to experience shut downs and how long did you run new PSU before you updated to Win7?
3. What does PC actually do when it shuts down? Blue screen, black screen? any error messages?
You said you have to turn it back on, what does that mean? You have to push the power button on the case or you have to shut the PSU off, then turn it back on and push the power button on the case?
4. Can you restart immediately or do you have to wait at all?
Something to check that is real quick - make sure ALL power from new PSU to your components are securely plugged in. Tough them all and MAKE SURE they are all tightly set. I'm assuming you loaded win 7 pretty quickly after you installed new PSU, if not then maybe it has nothing to do with new PSU and has something to do with the win 7 install, although you should get an error message if SW related.

wizheero

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
thanks for the reply...

1. How did PSU fry? Did it just stop working or did it have a melt down?

Ans: After I finish building my system I test it, install OS and applications, its running fine after 12hrs of operation i smelled like electrical burned, I shutdown the system after 10mins a powered up again but the system not responding. I test the psu by jumpering the green and black wire, but there's a short circuit and cause fuse damage in my AVR. the psu stop working.

2. How long after new PSU did you start to experience shut downs and how long did you run new PSU before you updated to Win7?

ans: after i buy a new psu the system running fine I install windows xp and application, then a decide to change it to windows 7, installing windows 7 and application the system running fine i shutting down the system, the following day booted up again the system, while im playing plans vs zombie the system suddenly power off and in some application.

3. What does PC actually do when it shuts down? Blue screen, black screen? any error messages?

Ans: No error, No Blue screen and No black screen, its just automatic shutoff, I need to push the power button to power up the system again.

4. Can you restart immediately or do you have to wait at all?

Ans: I can't restart immediately or shutting down immediately, when Im restarting or shutting i need to wait a few sec or mins, its just like normal restarting or shutting down.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I persoanlly think you might have damaged something when your PSU wet down, or when you tried to jump it. The question is what.
Did it run for minutes, hours or days without shutting down after the new psu was installed? Have you checked all connections to be sure they are ALL tightly connected? If not check all of the connections, not just the power supply leads but everything including the front panel and all of the sata and fans, audio, everything.
When it is running, does everything work, audio, dvd, fans etc.
Have you checked your cpu, gpu and chip set temps? CPUID has a HW monitror and speed fan is another decent free program to monitor temps with. You can get either or both ar www.download.com for free.
Have you checked your motherboard for blown capacitors? They should all be flat on top, not domed on top.
Anyone else have any ideas how diagnose the issue?

wizheero

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
okey check it later, where supposed the damage in the motherboard? when I jump the psu there is no hardware connected in it only psu and avr. i already monitored the system temps gpu temp 46°c cpu 39°c - 53°c chip set 35°c - 47°c.

I run it for an hour then shut in down. the system runs without any problem all device are functioning.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I am not sure it is your MB but it seems like the PSU dying and the system shutting down should be related. The other possibility is with the Windows 7 install. I sort of doubt that has anything to do with it though. It seems more like a HW issue than a SW issue.
Did you check all the connections yet?
Did you look for opped capacitors on the MB?
I wonder if your system would run Prime95 for any length of time? You can download that for free from www.download.com
Have you ever used P95? If you decide to run it be sure to run the blended test and ENABLE logging. That should report issues with the main components to you even if the test does not stop on an error.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

wizheero

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I check my mobo no popped capacitors
Connections check

I runs some sort of tested yesterday...

1st thing happened when i 1st switch on the avr no power in the avr, then i change the fuse in the avr and switch on, switch on the system after 5mins the system turn off again. its happened 3times, and i enter the bios after i saved the setting the system power off again, its happened 2 times, and the 3rd times the system power aff again and automatically power on and after 30mins its power off again, i transfer the power cord into another power socket, system runs 1hrs without shutting, after that system power off again.

this morning I tested the system again without using an avr the system runs fine an hour but i need to shut it down. later I check it again

thanks...

okey ill try to run P95 later..

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I didnt know you were running a voltage regulator. I wouldnt be surprised if your system runs fine with the AVR out of the equation. Let me know if this is not the case. I am sorry, I should have asked about the AVR sooner.