What has died?(Video Included)

xlthawkeye

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Well, I come home from school one day and turn on my computer for my gaming session. Next thing you know my computer turns off on me. I did everything to figure out what has happened and I narrowed it down to the 4pin ATX12v connection. While that is connected my computer will not turn on, but if it is not connected it will turn on but nothing appears on my screen. Has my CPU died?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxWzxF1eUQ

jb6684

Distinguished
Well the 4pin ATX12V is pretty much power JUST for the CPU.....

in your situation the power supply is shutting down. Could be a short circuit, or, a component has failed...

Is this a new build? IF not, how old is the system?

What CPU is it? Are you OC'ing it?

What GPU do you have? (if its a serious gaming card, did you remove it from the system and try to boot with ATX12V connected? )

What is the make, model, and wattage of the power supply?

xlthawkeye

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Is this a new build? IF not, how old is the system? The system is not new it is about the 2-3 years old but the PSU is the newest part in it onlt about 4-6months old.

What CPU is it? Are you OC'ing it?It is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (not OC'd)

What GPU do you have? (if its a serious gaming card, did you remove it from the system and try to boot with ATX12V connected? ) My GPU is currently in my dads computer and was not connected to my computer when I did the video.

What is the make, model, and wattage of the power supply?
Make - Seasonic
Model - Do not know
Wattage - 650

jb6684

Distinguished
I was hoping it would be simple like a 2--3 year old "Dell 250 watt stock supply" in store system that simply, after aging (power supplies will get weaker with age) simply didn't have the power to boot up the system any more.....

In this case either your new Seasonic (a good solid brand) and with 650watts plenty of power for any SINGLE GPU has FAILED....

Or, likely, part of the voltage regulator circuitry (which connect to ATX12V to power the CPU) on the motherboard has died and is now a bit of a short circuit, which will cause your power supply to "shut down" (as it should) when connected.....

Take a very close looks at the motherboard component in the VRM section, they surround the CPU socket..... if everything looks good, no obviously burnt components or traces..... THEN, Try another known good power supply....... if you get the same results lets see if we can debug just a bit further for you....