Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2011 11:50:42 PM

I'm going to presume with my limited knowledge fo the new Intel CPU heading our way that it is using a new socket type. That being said we will also be waiting on the release of information on new Motherboards which will be required and available for the launch.

Does anyone have any information of the aforementioned motherboard's which will be available?

Basically I'm literally at he point where I can order my new PC parts, but I am torn between the i7 -950 and waiting for the new tech.....What should I do?? :o 

More about : sandy bridge

a c 95 V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 12:01:13 AM

Its only a few more weeks, so I'd wait. We have rumored specs and prices, but you never know how true all that is. I'd wait and see how things shake out. If nothing else, the new tech should help the old tech drop in price. (assuming new tech is worth anything...)
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:07:35 AM

That's what I thought regards the price drop. I suppose another couple of weeks won't hurt.
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2011 6:59:33 PM

My understanding is that the new Sandy Bridge stuff will *NOT* be replacing the LGA1336 i7 9xx range. I'm still trying to get a response on this board about that.

From what I gather, it will be replacing the LGA1156 i5 7xx/i7 8xx range and what I hear is that performance increases will be around 10%. If this is true, then LGA1336 is still top-dog and there's no reason for prices to drop. LGA1156 prices will drop and the old i5 7xx/i7 8xx ranges will be cheaper, but I don't see any reason to assume the i7 9xx range will become cheaper.

This is the third thread I've asked about this. Does anyone have any information?
m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 7:07:02 PM

Check out the review on toms front page.

CURRENT SB chips are replacing 1156. Those that will replace 1366 will come later. The new SB chips while not replacing the i7 series do perform very well compared to them so some pricing adjustments will probably happen.

It also seems the cheaper K prices rumor was the right one. At least Intel isn't going to gouge us on that. To bad about those IGPs however.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 7:16:03 PM

don_macabre said:
My understanding is that the new Sandy Bridge stuff will *NOT* be replacing the LGA1336 i7 9xx range. I'm still trying to get a response on this board about that.

From what I gather, it will be replacing the LGA1156 i5 7xx/i7 8xx range and what I hear is that performance increases will be around 10%. If this is true, then LGA1336 is still top-dog and there's no reason for prices to drop. LGA1156 prices will drop and the old i5 7xx/i7 8xx ranges will be cheaper, but I don't see any reason to assume the i7 9xx range will become cheaper.

This is the third thread I've asked about this. Does anyone have any information?

That is correct that it is not to replace the 9xx series, it is stated in todays feature article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 7:24:06 PM

I've heard that the LGA 1366 replacement, LGA 2011 (that's right 2011 pins!) is set for a Q4 release, so if you're waiting for a high-end Sandy Bridge processor you're going to have to wait. However, like what 474 said, the most powerful Sandy Bridge LGA 1155 processors (the i7-2600K, and i5-2500K) seem to give the quad core LGA 1366 i7s a run for their money at times.
m
l
January 3, 2011 7:25:07 PM

Superb replies guys, thanks. I'll read that article. Haven't had a chance to look at the site properly today!

+1 to both of you!
m
l
January 3, 2011 7:26:49 PM

Oh, make that all three of you!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 7:51:48 PM

don_macabre said:

From what I gather, it will be replacing the LGA1156 i5 7xx/i7 8xx range and what I hear is that performance increases will be around 10%. If this is true, then LGA1336 is still top-dog and there's no reason for prices to drop.

That's very debatable. Performance wise, SB beats 1366 already. Chip set wise though, it still lacks the 32 PCI-e Lanes and tri channel memory.

Quote:
. For the same money as you would’ve spent last year, you can expect anywhere from 10-50% more performance in existing applications and games from Sandy Bridge.

Quote:
Lynnfield took away a lot of the reason to buy an X58 system as it delivered most of the performance with much more affordable motherboards; Sandy Bridge all but puts the final nail in X58's coffin. Unless you're running a lot of heavily threaded applications, I would recommend a Core i7-2600K over even a Core i7-980X. While six cores are nice, you're better off pocketing the difference in cost and enjoying nearly the same performance across the board (if not better in many cases).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

And from guys at Tom's here

Quote:
I’ve been saying all along that the X58 platform would remain, definitively, Intel’s crown jewel on the desktop. But after running the numbers I’ve run on Sandy Bridge, I have to wonder if X58’s days are numbered a little sooner than the company planned.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...
m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 7:56:23 PM

This post got me thinking, what will 2011 bring as a socket? Faster clocks or just the better motherboards. I would guess/hope that they will drop the GPU out of it (or include only a very basic IGP.) so that turbo will be even higher due to the lower thermals. But if all your going to get is an extra memory controller (or two if you believe the rumor of quad memory) and the ability to do 16x CF then there isn't much reason to wait. 8x/8x is still very good and us gamers don't need tri or quad memory.
m
l
January 3, 2011 8:09:52 PM

Definitely go i7-950. Don't wait for tomorrow while you could be enjoying the awesome right now. i7-950 is better than anything 1155, from what I've seen, especially at higher resolutions.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 8:16:09 PM

goatsword said:
Definitely go i7-950. Don't wait for tomorrow while you could be enjoying the awesome right now. i7-950 is better than anything 1155, from what I've seen, especially at higher resolutions.

have you even bothered to read the reviews?

i7-2600k CPU's beat i7-950's across the board on every benchmark. Heck, they even beat the 6 core 12 thread $1000 i7-980x's half of the time...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...
m
l
January 4, 2011 1:35:33 AM

This is fascinating stuff. I guess the CPU market will be completely changed in the next few days.

I'm sold: I will definitely wait for the SB release and then possibly a further week to let prices fluctuate a little. Exciting times!
m
l
January 9, 2011 9:04:14 PM

I'm with you don, today I ordered the 2600k and eagely await it's arrival!
m
l
!