Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer Repair Help

Last response: in CPUs
March 27, 2011 11:24:23 PM

Hello,
I have a Compaq Presario 5002US it has the Uwave motherboard with 800 MHz AMD Duron Processor and 40 GB Hard drive. I can't find any support to tell me what size processor or hard drive I can up grade this computer too. The ACPI processor numbers are D800AUT1B and the Quantum Fireball 1ct20 40 GB hard drive. Also do I need to upgade the power suppy from the 250 Volt compaq that's in it. I'm out of work so I'm tring fix this computer to give to low income people so I claim it on my taxes next year.Can anyone please help with this problem. Thanks Keith @

Edit: Personal Email Removed

More about : computer repair

a b à CPUs
March 27, 2011 11:55:04 PM

I am sorry that you are out of work, good luck with that.

-you want to upgrade the CPU in this computer...to what? an Athlon 3200?
How are you going to upgrade the hard drive? Do you have the original copy of Windows to install? Can you clone this drive? Are you really going to invest in a new copy of Windows?

There are many gaps in what you are asking. Primarily, if you upgrade the CPU, Hard drive, and PSU (and yes, you should because it is so old it cannot be trusted), you will spend more than it could ever be worth.
I mean, what do you plan to do with Windows Millennium anyway?

Good luck, I hope I have helped.
Score
April 16, 2011 6:56:16 PM

Noworldorder said:
I am sorry that you are out of work, good luck with that.

-you want to upgrade the CPU in this computer...to what? an Athlon 3200?
How are you going to upgrade the hard drive? Do you have the original copy of Windows to install? Can you clone this drive? Are you really going to invest in a new copy of Windows?

There are many gaps in what you are asking. Primarily, if you upgrade the CPU, Hard drive, and PSU (and yes, you should because it is so old it cannot be trusted), you will spend more than it could ever be worth.
I mean, what do you plan to do with Windows Millennium anyway?

Good luck, I hope I have helped.

Noworldorder, The time you spent on telling me why I shouldn't upgrade this computer then don't give me the answer you sound like a sells man at Bestbuy. I was trying to keep the question short yes I have the recovery disk , a windows xp, and windows 7 I can install if need be. I can get a CPU for $10.00, a hard drive for $20.00 and a power supply for $20.00. If you would like to answer now I will take it in consideration with my other answers. Thanks Keith
Score
Related resources
April 16, 2011 7:00:55 PM

Noworldorder, Sorry for the late reply.The time you spent on telling me why I shouldn't upgrade this computer then don't give me the answer you sound like a sales man at Bestbuy. I was trying to keep the question short yes I have the recovery disk, a windows xp, and windows 7 I can install if need be. I can get a CPU for $10.00, a hard drive for $20.00 and a power supply for $20.00. If you would like to answer now I will take it in consideration with my other answers. Thanks Keith
Score
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 7:41:48 PM

fishmen2 said:
Noworldorder, Sorry for the late reply.The time you spent on telling me why I shouldn't upgrade this computer then don't give me the answer you sound like a sales man at Bestbuy. I was trying to keep the question short yes I have the recovery disk, a windows xp, and windows 7 I can install if need be. I can get a CPU for $10.00, a hard drive for $20.00 and a power supply for $20.00. If you would like to answer now I will take it in consideration with my other answers. Thanks Keith

Maybe Noworldorder was rude but i would be blatant with you..I understand that you may have money problems but how do you wish to upgrade anything?I myself am already having a hardtime finding info about your pc support..I myself would agree with Noworldorder.You would have quite a task just upkeeping your system let alone upgrade and install new hardware.
I am not here to make you spend money on anything.with all due respect its really difficult to upgrade and upkeep your current system.The best cpu for you is still as earlier stated Athlon XP 3200+ which runs at 2333mhz.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 7:43:39 PM

i really hope you forgive my rudeness but i think you would find it quite a task to upgrade your current build.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 7:48:30 PM

Quote:
Upgrading socket A motherboards:
While you can fit many socket 462 processors into your motherboard, not all of them may be supported by the board. To determine what processors are supported you'll need to: Determine manufacturer and model of your motherboard,Search on manufacturer's website for the motherboard model.To determine upgrade options for brand name computers (like Dell or HP) try to search for computer model on computer manufacturer website.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20462%20(Socket%20A).html
Score
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 7:58:48 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
i really hope you forgive my rudeness but i think you would find it quite a task to upgrade your current build.
You are not being rude my friend, and neither was I.
Read between the lines of what the OP is intending, and the multiple operating systems, (????), etc.
not everything is above board here and I will not provide further assistance in this case.
Score
April 16, 2011 8:02:49 PM

The farthest you could upgrade this computer isn't even worth the effort. You could easily build a very cheap computer yourself that would blow the one you have out of the water. Or if your not the type to build your own you could get an E-Machine or something like that from a local retail store. What do you plan on doing with the computer?
Score
April 16, 2011 8:05:51 PM

333 MHz Intel Celeron MMX Processor
3.2 GB (3.2 billion bytes) Hard Disk Drive
2 MB (2 MiB) ATI Technologies Rage LT Pro Graphics Card
2 x USB 1.1 Ports
15" Compaq Presario MV500 CRT Monitor
56K Dial-Up Modem
JBL Stereo Speakers
Game Joystick Port
Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse
24x LG CD-ROM drive

Notably, the 5020 was supplied with a 15" Presario-branded CRT monitor and high-end JBL stereo speakers - identifying it as a true multimedia PC of the era. It was supplied with Microsoft Windows 98 (First Edition) preinstalled and available for reinstallation via supplied QuickRestore Disc.

This is all the info I could find on his current system he wants to upgrade.
Hope it helps.
Score
April 17, 2011 10:41:32 PM

bigtrev85, Thanks for your efforts I don't understand the noworldorder person he thinks there's a conspiracy theory going on. I'm only trying to help someone less fortunate than I and get a tax write off to help me at tax time. My original thread must have got lost in computer land. The info you said I needed for the type of motherboard is in the thread about I spoke with a HP support about the upgrade they told me this motherboard could only support two different CPU’s 800 and 850 MHz. The hard drive he said a 160GB that I think was true but I didn't believe him about the CPU and I was right I installed a 900 MHz and worked fine. The computer works great but do you think I could install the athlon xp 3200 and not have to change the bois. I'm not quite that good at this to open that can of beans. I'm just learning so I can help other people I do that allot I repair cars and help people when my back can tolerate it. I'm hopping to learn more because it's less strain for the back. Will all in all I spent about $30.00, labor time I have allot of that being unemployed so that's not bad. The person I give it to can keep in touch with there family and play games so I'm happy. Thanks again Keith
Score
!