Could a Chewing Gum/Candle Wax Remover be used to safely remove TIM?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I need to replace my computer's HSF, and I do not have rubbing alcohol around. Instead, I have this stuff. It lists the chemical compound as Isopropyl Alcohol, and the back warns that it contains an isobutane/propane blend.

Do you guys foresee any issue using it?

EDIT: Upon testing it on a countertop, it seems to evaporate very quickly and doesn't leave a scent or anything... good sign?

Solution
Sure, that will work, it has nothing to leave a film. It's just aerosol isopropyl alcohol. The isobutane is added as a dryer.
You say it doesn't have a scent....hmmm... it should....
You really should keep some isopropyl alcohol around though for emergencies, if you don't mind my saying so.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Sure, that will work, it has nothing to leave a film. It's just aerosol isopropyl alcohol. The isobutane is added as a dryer.
You say it doesn't have a scent....hmmm... it should....
You really should keep some isopropyl alcohol around though for emergencies, if you don't mind my saying so.

Solution

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Yeah, I know I should.

And when I say "no scent", it doesn't have any sort of 'clean' smell. But yes, it does smell like propane.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Well, it turns out to have done the trick. Was easily able to clean off the stock TIM and threw on Arctic Silver 5, and as I knew would happen, my computer idles at the same temp of ~40c with the fan spinning easily 1000 RPM slower. Now running burn-in with Prime95, once I get this stuff cured it'll probably be solid.

Thanks, noworldorder, turns out to have worked just fine.