Solved

Best card/s for performance/dollar out of these?

Okay, building new system in a month or two; and GPU selection is really, really stumping me.

Im upgrading from a 3/4 year old x2 6000/8600 gt system, which ran everything fine at 1680 x 1050. However, moving towards modern games..well..lets leave it at that :P

CPU = AMD Phenom II 555 $99
Motherboard= ASROCK 890X Extreme $147
PSU = Earthwatts 650w
Memory= 4GB 1600mhz Corsair (can't remember all the numbers XD)

Now, buying from newegg is impossible, as I'm in Australia (bleargh) and they don't ship here.

Now, I'll be likely be buying all my parts from these sites here, as they are the cheapest locally.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

(Yes the layout sucks) and

http://pccasegear.com/

Now issue for me is:

Gaming on 1920 x 1080 21.5 inch monitor, so; presumambly less demanding than 1920 x 1200? By a bit?

I don't know what card to go with! :O (Motherboard is interchangeable if need be for Crossfire/SLI)

Now I can get:

2 GTS 450's for $274
2 5770's for $290
GTX 460 = $222
6850 = $219
6870 = $273

All from the MSY website.

I have no idea what to do! XD XD

Help muchly appreciated.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best card performance dollar these
  1. Do you intend to run a crossfire setup?Also mention your budget for the entire rig.
  2. hey mate, i feel your pain. our prices for computer hardware sucks compared to the rest of the world so yeah....
    anyway id suggest you get the 6870 and if it doesn't live up to your expectations then get another one plus a new mobo and crossfire it
  3. Sorry, should have made that clear.
    Budget is not really an issue. However i don't want to spend $350+ on a single component.

Im really looking for performance per dollar here (I'm a tightass :P), and if SLI/Crossfire is going to offer better value, then that's the way I'd like to go :)
  4. is the gtx 460 the 1gb version? the 6850 looks good out of that list.

in terms of performance i think the 2 gts 450s will have the best performance, followed by the 6870. the 2 5770s, gtx 460 1gb and the 6850 all have similar performance.

i would go for either the gtx 460 or the 6850.

this image shows some of the cards.

5. Yup, 1GB versions.

Is there a definate winner performance wise between 460/6850?
  6. If any of your games use PhysX, get a GTX460. If they don't, or you don't care about it, get a HD6850. Use the difference in price between that and the HD6870 to get a quad core CPU. You'll want that if you expect to get the most benefit from possible future Crossfire. Your selection looks pretty limited though; I'd choose the 955 over the 640.
  7. Selection looks pretty limited? How so?
    The two stores do customer orders as well! :P so if I need parts that aren't listed I can ring and order them.
  8. Best answer
    I don't know which version of the GTX 460 you're talking about, but if its one of the custom design cards from ASUS, MSI or GIGABYTE, then I'd definitely go for them.They allow for better overclocking and when overclocked to their fullest, they can match the HD 5870 in performance.Otherwise go for the HD 6850.If you want Crossfire in the future, you might have to go for a quad core.
  9. I do believe the gigabyte one listed on the MSY website is the slightly overclocked dual fan version.

So GTX 460, and overclock it? :P

EDIT = Also will be looking at unlocking both cores on the 555, if it doesn't work, will replace it with a 955/1090T..or just wait until Bulldozer.
  10. Well, none of the X3 CPUs are listed; a Phenom II X3 740BE is $89 here, but isn't on either of your vendor lists.

Edit: Rather than risk an unlock, I'd just start out with the four cores I want, otherwise you could easily end up wasting the cost of the first CPU.
  11. Onus said:
    Well, none of the X3 CPUs are listed; a Phenom II X3 740BE is $89 here, but isn't on either of your vendor lists.

Edit: Rather than risk an unlock, I'd just start out with the four cores I want, otherwise you could easily end up wasting the cost of the first CPU.

Was actually looking into that right now :P Seeing if amazon will ship me one...
  12. If you're getting a single card, then yes.Though the 6850 also overclocks pretty well, I prefer Nvidia when it comes to overclocking.
  13. Best answer selected by Kenny646.
  14. Okay, thanks guys :) just looked up some OCing 460 reviews...totally convinced :)

And thanks also for CPU advice, shall be getting at min an x3 for SLI later.

Thanks guys, been great!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Graphics