Sign in with
Your question

Integrated graphics vs dedicated video card (non-gaming related)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2010 2:06:24 PM

If I were to compare two computers with basically the same parts with the exception the video card, how would the two computers perform on day to day tasks? (non-gaming related) Would there be any significant difference in having a card vs using integrated graphics?

I am also curious to see benchmarks displaying the performance advantages to having a dedicated video card vs integrated graphics but I am having trouble finding some.

I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong section/has been asked.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 2:13:58 PM

If your not gaming then there would be very little difference/ if any when performing day to day tasks (2D).
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 3, 2010 4:02:14 PM

Don't waste your money if you are not gaming.

The only exception is if you are using your PC to watch HD video, then you will benefit from a low cost ($50 - $60) video card to offload some of the overhead from your CPU and it will have better algorithms and actual hardware to provide improved video quality.
m
l
April 15, 2011 11:07:10 PM

Although It wont really have too much effect currently on the performance of your system, more and more systems are actually tapping into the power of the gpu. Basically in the future it might be a good idea but right now you need not buy one.

for the benchmarks take a look at this

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-blu-ray-vi...
m
l
Related resources
!