Removing fan from motherboard.

dy3p

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I currently have an asus formula IV mobo with AMD X6 1090t with it. My problem is with the fan, it becomes to noisy when on high end games. I'm planning to change it today but before I even tried looking for a fan, I tried removing it and it wont come off. What do I do next after pulling the lever back up? help pls..tnx

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
The easiest method is to run the computer for a while, often running an intensive application to heat up the CPU thermal paste.

Then turn the system off, detach the level on the fan and then gently twist the fan in both directions until it starts moving. Eventually it will come off.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Are you using the stock HSF and its paste?

I literally just changed out my TIM from the stock stuff (955 with stock fan) to AS5, and while trying to get the fan off, I ended up pulling the CPU out of the socket. I then had to use a flathead precision screwdriver's tip to pry the HSF from the CPU.

Lesson learned: Don't give the stock TIM *** any time to set, get it off right away before assembling your computer.

As evilgenius said, though, you should have better luck if you 'cook' it first.

dy3p

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks. I am currently using the stock hsf and paste.. What fan did you change yours to? Currently in search of one..

susennath

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
rotate the nob 90 degree angle clockwise and then trun out the nob, do that for four nob definately it will reopen. then u can put silicon paste and reclose the fan system on ur processor,
hope u wil overcom ur prob

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Actually, I just remounted the stock one. I just wanted to get rid of that blasted paraffin TIM glue they used on the HSF.

I plan to get a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, it's one of the better air-cooled HSFs (it's a direct-contact heatpipe design, adding to its efficiency). It's only ~$30 off Amazon right now, pretty much a steal for its level of performance.

mi1ez

Splendid

That's for Intel HSFs...

dy3p

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

dude, i think that does not support X6? does it? just found it in here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

Really in need of one.. my HSF is so annoying right now.. what else can you recommend?