Installing a new motherboard Windows 7

argo49

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I'm buying a new motherboard to replace my old one since i need another open PCI slot. is there anything I should know about how to install a new motherboard before I buy anything? or is it basically just unplug the old and plug in the new?

Also I doubt this is possible but is there any solition other than buying an entirely new motherboard if i need an extra PCI slot for a sound card (Asus Xonar DG)?

I still have the original system builder's copy of Windows 7 that I used when I first built the PC and yes I have checked to make sure everything I already have matches up with the new mobo specs so everything's compatible

Here's one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7IPTHwsrwo. You're going to have some issues, but we all have with our first builds. Be patient and don't be alarmed if it isn't running the first day. If you have problems, I would sleep on it.

argo49

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Okay so it is just plug and chug lol

But I guess my question comes more from a software perspective then.
Will there be any conflict between a new motherboard and the existing operating system?
I've heard that there are some drivers and other things that should be uninstalled before installing a new mother board, is that true?
Also, obviously a common question, do you need to reinstall the operating system after installing a new motherboard or anything of that nature (ie BIOS tweaks or something?)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You will need to re-install Windows completely. The OEM version you have probably won't allow you to migrate it to the new board, though. The OEM license is just for the original motherboard. You can try it and let the install pgm offer you a number to call to get a new license.