Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4870x2 RMA - what replacement is acceptable?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gigabyte
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 3, 2010 2:39:21 PM

Hi,

my 4870x2 recently died and was still under warranty with Gigabyte (3years) They have informed me that it is beyond repair and a replacement card will be sent.

What card is acceptable as a replacement? I think a 5870 should be a minimum though at higher resolutions it is not as good as the 4870x2 on some games. Gigabyte have given me no clue as to what I will be getting, is there any cards I should refuse to accept as a replacement (other than the obvious really low end cards)

Thanks

More about : 4870x2 rma replacement acceptable

a c 236 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 2:50:27 PM

i would say expect the 5870 and complain if you get anything below it....so make a sacrifice to the PC gods for an ATI 5970
Related resources
November 3, 2010 2:55:27 PM

ct1615 said:
i would say expect the 5870 and complain if you get anything below it....so make a sacrifice to the PC gods for an ATI 5970


Man that would be nice, I wonder what the PC Gods like as a sacrifice .... son, come here a minute ... :) 
November 3, 2010 2:56:23 PM

mactronix said:
Looking at this http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870/ I would say a 5870 would be about right. The performance is very similar if you look at the tables at the end of the review.

Mactronix :) 


Cheers for that Mactronix, will take a close look :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 3:02:01 PM

Be happy if you get a 5870 imo. I'd take a 6870 now they are available. It's unlikely they will give another dual gpu card to somebody who had problems with one before, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a 5970.
November 3, 2010 3:24:19 PM

eyefinity said:
Be happy if you get a 5870 imo. I'd take a 6870 now they are available. It's unlikely they will give another dual gpu card to somebody who had problems with one before, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting a 5970.


I think you are right, the 5970 is more wishful thinking than anything else .. don't see why Gigabyte would not consider a dual GPU card if somebody has already experienced an issue with one already, the card was not abused in anyway and from what I have read the VRAM going faulty was probably the cause of failure.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 4:07:35 PM

Yeah I didn't mean you'd done something wrong with it, just that these cards have high failure rates anyway so if there is something not quite right in your system it probably has a higher chance of going wrong again.

The 4870x2 is a ridiculously hot card for example, so if your case isn't really set up for good cooling it is probably going to break sooner or later. You did pretty well getting a 3 year warranty on it actually.
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 4:24:52 PM

chiller said:
Man that would be nice, I wonder what the PC Gods like as a sacrifice .... son, come here a minute ... :) 


Dude that is very sick of you to say that.

November 3, 2010 6:25:15 PM

nforce4max said:
Dude that is very sick of you to say that.



I hope you are joking, I was :D 
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 6:37:32 PM

chiller said:
I hope you are joking, I was :D 


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch

There are times ware it is ok and there are things it is ok to joke about but this isn't the right subject to joke about. May sound strange but you don't know till you look and there are people who really do this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRYm5YtaCQo

Its hard to believe that this even made it onto Oprah.
November 3, 2010 7:21:18 PM

nforce4max said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moloch

There are times ware it is ok and there are things it is ok to joke about but this isn't the right subject to joke about. May sound strange but you don't know till you look and there are people who really do this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRYm5YtaCQo

Its hard to believe that this even made it onto Oprah.



I think you really need to put my joke in perspective and not take life so seriously, man it must be a barrel of laughs around your dinner table :sarcastic: 
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 7:30:32 PM

Just ignore him, a bit of humour never did anyone any harm.

I have no idea what eyefinity is going on about a hot card, it is more that cards nowadays run cool, not that the 4870x2 runs hot.

Not sure what the policy on returns would be but it woul;d have to be like for like and that would be the 5870.
November 3, 2010 7:59:45 PM

strangestranger said:
Just ignore him, a bit of humour never did anyone any harm.

I have no idea what eyefinity is going on about a hot card, it is more that cards nowadays run cool, not that the 4870x2 runs hot.

Not sure what the policy on returns would be but it woul;d have to be like for like and that would be the 5870.


I think you are probably right, but there is no harm in hoping, praying, wishing .... sacrificing (man, I'm in for it now :D  )
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2010 8:10:12 PM

There is a good chance you'll get a refurb 4870 X2 back as well, since those cards aren't that old and they probably still have a few in stock.
November 3, 2010 8:32:36 PM

pepperman said:
There is a good chance you'll get a refurb 4870 X2 back as well, since those cards aren't that old and they probably still have a few in stock.


It is a possibility but Gigabyte did say it was highly likely I would get a different card, I would be happy enough if I got a 4870x2 as a replacement anyway.
November 4, 2010 2:54:25 AM

You're getting a 5770, I can just sense it... ;) 
November 4, 2010 9:02:57 AM

microterf said:
You're getting a 5770, I can just sense it... ;) 


There is always one, I am not going to rise to it though ... damn it I am gggrrrrrrrr :fou:  :D  Just don't mention sacrificing and kids, it's very dangerous on this forum ;) 
November 4, 2010 6:08:46 PM

;)  Good luck, let us know what you get. Hopefully a 5970 :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 6:13:31 PM

i'd hope for a 5870 but i'm with others thinking a 6870 is more likely, if you get a 5970 though buy a lottery ticket that day sir!
November 12, 2010 6:57:20 AM

Just an update guys, got a brand new 5870 ... pleased with that, thanks for all responses :D 
November 12, 2010 4:31:40 PM

Sweet, good card.
!