AS5 temps low for a few minutes at startup, then rise to pre-AS5 temps

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Finally got around to changing my TIM by using some AS-5 I had sitting around (was using stock AMD goo). I'm a bit confused by the temps I'm getting, though... at the first boot after I did the TIM change, and for about 5 minutes, my temperatures were several degrees celsius lower and my CPU fan was spinning about 1000 RPM slower besides. Very encouraging. After that period of time, though, without even doing anything that 'stressed' the CPU, my temps went from sub-40c to 42c idle, as they had been before changing the TIM (stock AMD fan, Phenom II X4 955 OCed to 3.6GHz), even after the fan spun up to about 2500 RPM (where it had been, again, with the stock material).

I know AS5 has a >200 hour curing time, so will this eventually stop happening and my temperatures will stay at that lower plateau? Or is this a sign that I applied it incorrectly or something? I understand that I'm still using the stock fan and OCing, and that changing the TIM wouldn't have that much impact, but the fact that my computer has that blissful few minutes at startup when it stays below 40c with a quiet fan to boot makes me hope that I can maintain that at all times.

So, is it normal for AS5 to start cold then warm up until cured? Or does it do this even after curing? Or did I mess up the application?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Also, here's a screenshot of the monitoring program I use, Speedfan:

2q1bdqd.png

The right side is my computer idling, the left side is Prime95 running. Anyone have any idea what the difference between Temp2 and Core is? I'm fairly sure Temp3 is the Southbridge, and I'm unsure what Temp1 is.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

You'll be happy to hear that I just ordered a Hyper 212 (as I had intended to, I said so in that other thread if you remember) from Amazon for a mere 30 dollars, free two day shipping (college student Prime Membership).

All I have sitting around for TIM is AS5, though, and since curing time isn't really that big a deal for me (and because I don't want to spend ~$10 for MX-2 when I already have plenty of AS5 to use up), I guess I just wanted to know if the whole "cool temps for a bit, then heats up" was an effect of AS5's curing.

And don't worry, Geek, I have this computer on pretty much 10 hours every day (from the moment I come home from classes to whenever I go to sleep) and am constantly running stresses on it (for the high-activity/low-activity cycles AS5 recommends), so 100 hours is no big deal. And don't forget that AS5 was one of the better TIMs not that long ago... Which is why I have plenty of it.

EDIT: Don't worry, guys, I'm a dumb college kid but I'm not THAT dumb... I've lowered my CPU to stock clocks, and will wait until I get the Hyper 212 to rev it up again.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Well, here's the follow-up:

With a Hyper 212+ installed and using AS5, I have overclocked to 3.6GHz. Idle temps hover around 36-38C (I have a relatively warm room), and under load it peaks at 50C.

I have been using AS5 for years, mostly because I still using the same tube.

Two things that I have noticed:
1. AS5 is not magic. It is simply, by today's standards, a pretty good thermal compound.

2. I have never noticed any sort of a curing time. I usually spent one to two weeks building, testing, and overclocking a new system. I start by running Prime95 over night at stock settings to make sure everything is working correctly. After I finalize my OC settings, I finish with 24 hour P95 runs for small fft's and blend tests - each.

I have never noticed any significant difference between the "before" and "after" temperatures.