Intel scared of Bulldozer, more people excited by AMD's upcoming cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/jules/bulldozer-specs-cause-intel-to-pull-in-roadmap/

Rumours reaching KitGuru say that following the Sandy Bridge debacle, Intel is now going to pull in its roadmap – to try and counter Bulldozer.

A massive number of respondents told us which processors they wanted the most – and Bulldozer was a clear winner with 50% of the votes.

Following that, we’ve just noticed that another major web site is running its own poll – and that one shows 69% of readers are waiting for Bulldozer.

Come on AMD, we're tired of intels crappy 15% speed bumps every 2 years give us something new!

we are all waiting for bulldozer, but i dont think intel have anything to be scared of. their SB's are killing anything amd has to offer and we all know there is a hell of a lot of clockspeed to be had from them. if intel wanted they could probably pull a 4ghz SB out of their hat with 8 cores, but they dont need to yet because there is no competition in the high end.

Really.

Internet polls are not worth the bandwidth used to create them, and useless from the standpoint of sampling any given population or sub-population.

IIRC last fall the rumors were that Bulldozer would be out in April. Now that AMD has confirmed that it is June 20th or so, I think AMD's window of opportunity with the SB chipset hiccup has just about slammed shut. Yet another case of AMD being a dollar short and a day late..

I haven't seen any supposedly leaked BD benchies that look plausible so far, so unless Intel has seen some, I really doubt they are "scared" of BD :p.

Polls - Yea right.
It is going to be biased based on the "readers" preference - If it is mostly AMD, guess who is going to win - same same if readers are mostly Intel users.
It's the same as if you asked identical questions on a Fox vs Washington Post web site. Conservative’s win on Fox, but on Washington Post liberal democrates are going to win. What's the point.

Me - I'll wait and see, but am doughting that AMD will win big.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
All this means is that Intel is going to speed up 2011 and offer it at lower prices.

I can see how you came to that conclusion, based on intel's history of offering advanced cpu's at low prices. :na:

I pity the fool who actually believes BD has a chance against SB-E.

Bulldozer was meant to go against Bloomfield.. Not Sandy Bridge

Last week you said it had no chance vs the 2600 K. The X6's went against Bloomfield, do you honestly think Bulldozer won't be faster than those? I'd love some of that yo is smokin.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Intel knows exactly how fast Bulldozer is. You just have to piece together some of the rumours and comments to come to the obvious conclusion.

BD is fast. It's much faster than all of intel's current line-up.

No my Daddy can beat up your Daddy!

You kids sound so stupid arguing about pure speculation and rumor.

AMD missed the mark, I think now their rabbit in their hat is going to be some sort of backwards compatability with some current gen boards, I really think that is what this delay is all about. They can't win performance wise but they can still pull market share.

Contrary to what you believe, AMD is plenty happy at number 2 and has been for as long as some of you have been alive.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Many people will, and it doesn't help AMD when they are late.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

You must be younger than me because I sure remember the Athlon 64 days when AMD smacked intel so hard intel had to resort to "Plan B". Actually come to think about it, that wasn't much more than 5 years ago. How old are you? :D

1000FPS

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

I smell a fanboy

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I don't think Intel is scared at all.However AMD does stand a chance (possibly maybe yes maybe no) at not being 2 generations behind and at being on par or equal for a short while (couple of months) when BD is released.AMD could win big here in that way we will just have to wait and see (benchmarks,reviews) then again it could be another flop (let's hope not).
On the bright side both AMD and Intel will be at 32nm.

Either way a short lived glory would quickly fade as Intel will be releasing their enthusiast SB CPU's,22nm in which we don't know what AMD will do then when it has to go against that.I think that's where AMD will start to have trouble again (when Intel has Ivy Bridge out).At that point it (BD) will become another bargain bin bang per buck CPU as the Phenom II is now.

I would however like to see BD have great success though.It would be awfully neat if BD could possibly out perform SB or against an Intel CPU for once since what early 2006 but again it won't last long if they do have success and AMD is on top.
If you're an AMD user this is a great opportunity but even if successful it's going to be short lived (like winning a battle but possibly losing a war).
Anyway that's my opinion.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008

I rembered that day, but it was september 23, 2003 becuase they were the first ones to support 64 bit operating system. I don't think they going to bring out a differnt architecture, integers, or memory addresses cpu. They had intel by throat for about 2-6 months, till people start to realize that alot of software and programs doesn't supprt the 64bit architcture. The 64bit architecture was ment for business that required the added performance and the memory addreses to the cpu. All AMD is doing right now, is trying to make people belive that, their new processor is going to beat sandy bridge, but it won't. I won't put any wagers on the new Bulldozer right now. There not enough information accessable on the net about what the cpu can or can't do. Intel will always be the power house till, AMD finds a way to out smart them not by delaying the relase dates but by providing something that is new and haven't been heard of. They should give programmers and hardware designers time to bring out softwware that will support their new cores before acturally releaseing it to the public.

Intel knows exactly how fast Bulldozer is. You just have to piece together some of the rumours and comments to come to the obvious conclusion.

BD is fast. It's much faster than all of intel's current line-up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the last group of leaked benchies have a 32-core BD module beating a Xeon [4 core] in SOME tests? Granted, the BD was at 1.8GHz, but why not a fair 32 core v 32 core comparison?

Plus, I still have MAJOR concerns about that Floating Point module, especially in AVX applications...I smell a benchmark king, but application Joker, if you get my drift.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Yes lets go on with the history shall we. Then came..........
Conroe was the code name for Core 2 Duo which was the first dual core processor to break all the rules and achieve performance far above those of mortal Athlons. Overnight, AMD's dual cores were relegated to the bargain basement bin, many fetching less than $100 which was a price cut of over $600 for some models. It was like driving out of your local Honda dealer with a brand new Civic you just paid $3,000 for

^ +1 ever since AMD has just been hanging on barely.They double botched the original Phenoms in 2007 (inadequate performance,TLB bug) although Intel was scared for a short while then greatly relieved.
Perhaps if AMD had CPU's like their current line (Phenom II's,Athlon II's) it could have been some good competition at the time in 2007.

D

Deleted member 362816

Intel scared of an Amd product lmmfao. really what a joke.

Intel= corvette
Amd= geo metro

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Considering that Bulldozer is unlikely to match Sandy Bridge core for core, and the fact that Intel is bringing out socket 2011 and Ivy Bridge within the next 9 months, I highly doubt there is much of a fear factor here

A massive number of respondents told us which processors they wanted the most – and Bulldozer was a clear winner with 50% of the votes.

Following that, we’ve just noticed that another major web site is running its own poll – and that one shows 69% of readers are waiting for Bulldozer.

Id like to know what these "major" sites are. Kitguru obvisously isnt a major site, it has 100x less traffic than toms. Maybe we should have a poll here. Words are always twisted around to make dramatic news. Depending on how the poll question was asked, even someone who bought SB would answer "waiting" to see what AMD will bring to the table. Unless it was specifically saying "postponing buying a computer to see how BD does." I cant check on this because kitgurus poll archive link doesnt even work.

Pushing fanboys aside. Any company or product has its strengths/weakness and times where it is on top or not. Reading info about BD makes me believe itll be like before SB came out. But I do see that AMDs integrated grpahics will be better than Intels.

romanrp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I was going to wait for BD myself, but AMD kept pushing back the release date so I pulled the trigger and got myself an i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz for the price of a phenom II 1090t.
I could not be happier with my new cpu, its flawless.

I saw AMD claiming their 8 core/module/whatever was 50% than a quad i7.
50% more cores = 50% more speed sounds about right lol , it only proves BD has good scalability...

What is this new cpu meant for anyway, gaming, servers or what?

And I doubt a better onboard GPU will mean anything to most of us here....

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
All this means is that Intel is going to speed up 2011 and offer it at lower prices. I pity the fool who actually believes BD has a chance against SB-E.

Bulldozer was meant to go against Bloomfield.. Not Sandy Bridge

IIRC the official statement from AMD was that their BD lineup would be ~30% faster than the i7-950, which would essentially put it in sandy bridge territory. I think by deduction, outperforming the 1156/1366 would in turn make it competitive with 1155. Of course, this doesn't mean squat until we see actual benchmarks and clock speeds.

D

Deleted member 362816

Amd is to late to the game anyway most hardcore gamers and so on have allready bought intels 2500-2600 cpus. so i dont think it matter if they are in the same territory. Mabye for the die hard people that are waiting for amd bulldozer will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.