Is it safe to test new parts on a 6 year old desktop?

celtics999

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I am working on a new build and i am progressively getting new parts. Therefore, I would like to test that none of the parts are DOA to avoid dealing with problems once all of the parts are together. I currently have an old Dell that I pulled out of the basement after about 4 years of no use, would it be safe to test my new power supply and video card on this old computer? Thank you!

Depends on the Dell; you'd probably be pushing it on PSU specs to be testing newer GPUs within the old system, and, it's possible the old system does not even have PCI-e slots anyway....

I'd not be trying run a new MB and cpu/GPU in the Dell case with it's sometimes proprietary hookups to front of case without knowing exactly the assorted buttons/switches/LED pinouts of your case/MB....

In short....assemble it outside a case on nonconductive paper, using a good power supply, not Dells, if you must...

celtics999

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thank you for your response. A friend of mine has a newer HP computer with PCI slots and a more recent mobo. Would that be a safe bet or should I not even bother?